free website stats program Meaning of warning light | Harley Davidson Forums

Meaning of warning light

wsw483

Ok, I know this is a dumb question, BUT, I'm kinda new to Harley Davidson Motorcycles. I just bought a 2001 Softail and when I turn the switch on an indicator light that looks like a "KEY" comes on until I crank the engine. What is this for?? I did'nt get an owners manual and I can't find the answer to this question in the Clymer Manual that I have. Somebody help this dummy please.. Thanks.

Thank Smitty. I told you it was a dumb question. I really appreciate and like this forum. It helps alot . As cold as it is here at home tonight I might just take your advice about starting a fire with my Clymer Manual. LOL

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. Do you have the alarm system on the bike? Key flashing alarm is on Key steady alarm is off.

Did you get a little black plastic key fob with the bike? It's about the size of a .50 cent piece, about 1/2" thick. You push the side of it to arm or disarm the security system. It has a small battery in it. The key light on your speedo is just the ECM system checking the function of the security system. Somebody familiar with your model and year bike will give you a more precise answer on how to arm and disarm it. Enjoy your 'new' 2001 Softail....:57:

Take Smitty's advice above, get the HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year. And also get the Owner's Manual. You might try surfing the net for an auction site where you can pick them up cheap. I just got some Ford Factory Service Manuals for my '01 Crown Vic online. These things are out there.

TQ

Back