free website stats program Maximum Speed in Each Gear? | Harley Davidson Forums

Maximum Speed in Each Gear?

bobalu

2010 Road King Classic - 6 Speed/Twin Cam 96

Does any one know what the maximum speed in each gear is? (not the shift points given in the manual). I've been searching and coming up empty handed.

O.k., thanks TQ.

Do you know when the rev limiter will kick in on a 2010 96TC? (or what it red lines at? is it 5200 rpm?).

O.k., thanks TQ.

Do you know when the rev limiter will kick in on the 96? (or what it red lines at?).

I think on the stock set up it is around 5500rpm. With the Stage 1 download, it is upped to 6200. But I think folks are crazy running an unmodified 2 cylinder engine with pistons the diameter of coffee cans up anywhere near those numbers. To each his own.

TQ

My cent and a half is that anything much over 4000 rpm is a waste of engine life. I wouldn't worry about the speed of the current gear so much as where it drops back when upshifting. If it's 3000-ish, you will progress rapidly...YMMV.:cheers

I think on the stock set up it is around 5500rpm. With the Stage 1 download, it is upped to 6200. But I think folks are crazy running an unmodified 2 cylinder engine with pistons the diameter of coffee cans up anywhere near those numbers. To each his own.

TQ

I agree with TQ. I actually lowered my rev limiter to 5200 rpm. My Andrews 21 cams really have about run out of power about there and there's no point in blowing it up. I shift about 5000 when I'm riding hard. I'd rather ride it home then trailer it. My 2 cents.

TQ

I like that answer!!!! IMO I own a harly for the torque! Don't need to rev that high to keep the acceleration going in gear progression.......that is what I like about it!

I don't look so much at speed per gear but rather RPM and run my 07 Road King between 2600 - 3000 RPM in 4th through 6th gear. For me it's important to have throttle when I need it so I probably change gears more than most of the guys I ride with, keeping the RPM at the above mentioned at all times. My Dakota Digital with LED display is perfect for the job!

Back