free website stats program Lubrication for sticky throttle cables | Harley Davidson Forums

Lubrication for sticky throttle cables

Good morning to all...here's my question. I ride every day to work and such and with the weather working against me the past week or so, not only am I riding in the rain, but my bike sits in it for 8 hours a night. throttle cable started sticking this morn on way home. In this little hole of a town in georgia they have never heard of dri-slide and they don't have white lithium in a spray can. will it hurt to use wd-40 until I can locate something else? Thanks in advance....Ride it like ya stole it...Critter

I use Bike Aid which I think is the same as Dri Slide but its packaged and marketed for bicycle cables. I found some at ToySrus but I imagine any place that carries bicycles like Walmart might have it. It seems like every small town has a Walmart these days. It might be cheaper under that name too. Good hunting - Bob

Thanks for the info bob...wd-40 was a great quick fix. As for wal-mart, I'll have to wait for the weather to clear as it's in the next town. All we have is 3 traffic lights and a news paper that comes out once a week...lol...told ya it was a small town...Critter

Rural areas certainly have their charm. I've lived in suburbia for most of my life where the malls and subdivisions go on forever and increasingly people drive like they are in a third world country. I hope to move to a more rural area once I retire.

Last winter I took my clutch cable off and could not move the cable by hand through the sheath. I wrapped a pint sized zip lock bag at the top and secured it at the bottom with electical tape so it wouldn't leak and then filled the bag enough to cover the top of the cable with Bike Aid. I then hung it up for a few days to let it trickle down. When I took it down I could move the cable with two fingers easily. I plan to do it at least once a year. When its on the bike its hard to tell it getting stiff since it happens a little at a time.

Never been a fan of WD40. It does disperse water though, which is what it was made to do. Silicone attracts less dirt. The product I use on my cables seems to do a fantastic job of penetration, lubrication and lasts a long time. It is called Breakfree and you can find it in the sporting goods at Wally World and other places.

Workin' nights in Cochran, sounds like you might be a Lithonia person? Cochran is part of one of my favorite riding loops from Warner Robins.

yuppers breeze, I'm a lithonia vampire...work all night...climb in the coffin during the day...lol. Been doing nightshift for about 24 years...and love it! But then I'm not normal...I'm a biker...heheheheh. look me up some time for a putt! Ride it like ya stole it...Critter

Back