free website stats program lowering FLHTP | Harley Davidson Forums

lowering FLHTP

galxl68

Hello everybody. Im new to this forum. I just bought a 2012 Electra Glide . I would like to lower it enough to be flat footed. Ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanks Mike

There are after market lowering kits available. They usually move the angle of the shocks back a ways, but lower the bike 1-1 1/2". They can also change how the bike handles. I had them on 2 different FLs but didn't notice much of a change.
You could also check on the FLHX shocks. I think they are 1" shorter than the FLHTC. Another option is a thinner seat.
tourbox

Hello everybody. Im new to this forum. I just bought a 2012 Electra Glide . I would like to lower it enough to be flat footed. Ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanks Mike

How much to do you need to lower? Mean City Cycles can work your seat and drop you down an inch or two. Try to avoid lowering the suspension; the bike will handle much better at stock ride height. Maybe thicker soles/heels on your boots as well?:s

Maybe just narrowing your seat at the front will help reach the ground. I put a Mustang Wide touring seat on my E.G. It's the same height as my original seat, but fatter in front and now I don't flat foot like I did before.

How much to do you need to lower? Mean City Cycles can work your seat and drop you down an inch or two. Try to avoid lowering the suspension; the bike will handle much better at stock ride height. Maybe thicker soles/heels on your boots as well?:s

+1 I would try all other options before altering the suspension travel/ ride height etc.

I used lowering kits on the rear shocks once, bad idea it pogo ed and ruined the air shock boots

At running the risk of altering the handling of a bike by adding lower brackets. Why not just start with a pair of logger boots or upgrade the boots you have to thicker soles and heels.
The proper way to lower bike is to used the lower profile shocks and springs in forks like the new Ultra Low and if not enough than accompany that with the lower profile seat.

Lowering via suspension mods will alter the handling, particularly that of a touring model. However, if one doesn't "push" the bike, the affect on handling could go unnoticed. For instance if one takes a long sweeping turn marked for 50mph at 60mph, the bagger "wobble" might not show itself. However, take that same sweeper at 80mph and the "hinge" in the Harley touring frame will exhibit and the rear wheel will start moving around a bit. Once the rear wheel starts moving around, the movement will transfer to the front; bad juju.:newsmile071:

Lowering via suspension mods will alter the handling, particularly that of a touring model. However, if one doesn't "push" the bike, the affect on handling could go unnoticed. For instance if one takes a long sweeping turn marked for 50mph at 60mph, the bagger "wobble" might not show itself. However, take that same sweeper at 80mph and the "hinge" in the Harley touring frame will exhibit and the rear wheel will start moving around a bit. Once the rear wheel starts moving around, the movement will transfer to the front; bad juju.:newsmile071:

Yup, that is a bad feeling! That feeling let me to putting Sta-Bo bushings in my 2004 Road King Custom. :s

Back