free website stats program Lowering 5th gear RPM's? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering 5th gear RPM's?

Being a Sporty fella, my focus would be on wheel, belt and tire alignment. The Sportster is best experienced on 2 lane blacktop with as many twists possible. Interstate cruising is necessary to get places but, if you tend to ride the highway often, I'd just move into a Dyna with 6 spd and enjoy the big twin torque, lower revs, longer wheel base and still handle the curves. Although with some more weight to carry with you.

Good luck with your mod and wish you the best. Always appreciate those that can make their ride work for them.

Being a Sporty fella, my focus would be on wheel, belt and tire alignment. The Sportster is best experienced on 2 lane blacktop with as many twists possible. Interstate cruising is necessary to get places but, if you tend to ride the highway often, I'd just move into a Dyna with 6 spd and enjoy the big twin torque, lower revs, longer wheel base and still handle the curves. Although with some more weight to carry with you.

Good luck with your mod and wish you the best. Always appreciate those that can make their ride work for them.
Thanks. Most of my riding is local to my rural Eastern NC settings, although, most major towns like Kinston, Goldsboro, Greenville, etc. are 30 - 55 miles away. So, I do get a pretty good mix of riding surfaces to enjoy when I'm able to. My end goal is probably going to be keeping the 16" rear solid aluminum wheel, and after much research on tire sites, going with the 165/50R-16 car tire. Inside my rear fender is 7 1/2" and the above tire measures out to be 6.49", giving me approx. 1/2" clearance on each side of the rear fender. I'm surprised more folks don't use a car tire as their rear tire. Not much difference in the feel, gives more surface contact, and lasts 3-4 times longer than a motorcycle tire, for less price than a motorcycle tire. I also normally put 3 ounces of "dyna-beads" in the tire for wheel balancing measures that seem to enhance longer life of the tire also. To each his own, I reckon'.

Back