free website stats program lowered bike scrape/banging ? | Harley Davidson Forums

lowered bike scrape/banging ?

wheelie

what exactly is the rubbing/scraping noise you hear when hitting a large bump on a lowered electraglide . Ive had 2 of them and they both made the same sound, cant see that its bottoming anywhere , no marks on the tire ? is it the belt hitting the primary cover or swingarm or what exactly is it ????

I've bottomed out once on my StreetGlide, pulling out of a driveway. Figured out it was the rear crossmember on the frame scraping.

When I lowered my bike, like DangerDan said, the jiffy stand tang dragged on the left and the exhaust bracket fasteners dragged on the right. Had to remove 1/4" of rubber off the jiffy stand bumper...tucked in at the business end almost an 1", and changed the nut/bolt hardware on the right and lean angle is much better.

You should also change your riding style to move your center of gravity to the inside and pressure on the outside pegs...while leaning the bike more upright..."hanging off"...it is how competitive riders compensate for low hardware which could upset weight distribution before hard parts start dragging. Practice-Practice-Practice...

this isnt a problem when leaning or cornering , I can lay this thing down around a curve with no rubbing , this is a problem when hitting bumps in the road . And it it something bottoming out ... You can feel it in the seat of the pants if the bump is big enough , but I can't find it ???

Oh...if the suspension is not "controlled during compression" you may have to set the preload up one notch in the back and use slightly heavier fork oil in the front...stock is 5W, may want to put some BelRay 7.5W. Or drain out 1/2 of your 5W oil and add 50% 10W to it (given the same level for now) and give her a go over bumps...if you know some "modest" speed bumps typical of shopping centers, that is a good place to start (after hours of course).

Back