free website stats program Lowered 09 Road Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowered 09 Road Glide

bobbeidel

I put the HD Low Profile shocks on my 09 Road Glide and the ride is somewhat harsher. I haven't tried more air pressure (currently have 16 lbs). I weigh 180 and wife is 110. I had previously tried the Progressive 412 shocks and experience a harsh ride. I believe this low profile shock is the same shock configuration as the Street Glides and the new Road Glides. Can't believe Harley would use a shock that is so rough. Am I the only guy experiencing this?? Another question --- how does lowering only the rear affect the steering? I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum that it affected the steering but can't finds that thread.

Thanks

BTW: I love the ROad Glide and the sharky fairing!!

First can I ask why you lowered the RG? Lowering the rear does change the geometry of the bike and will make the bike handle differently. I don't know about the 09 but my 05 with two up (not lowered) handles well with 30lbs in the shocks.

Lowered it to make it easier to hold up when stopped. The new frame bikes are top heavier than the pre 2009.

I have an 09 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and I just recently installed the Progessive 412 HD shockes on mine, I got the 12.5" because I also wanted to lower it just a little. I weigh 180 and my wife weighs around 150. The bike rides smoother than it did with the original shocks on there and it handles a lot better.

That's what I had (the 12.5") and they were very rough. Sent back to Progressive to see if they were defective and they were okay. Something crazy going on here for me. Shucks, maybe its the front shocks!.. All I know is that when I hit a some of the transitions on the highway I get a pretty good jarring to the point that it scares my wife.

Remember to check the belt tension when you lower your bike and check the kick stand angle also. :s

By design, shorter shocks ride harsher. It's like thin soled shoes vs thick soled shoes. Lowering the rear only, increases trail which makes slow speed steering slower, but high speed stability a bit better. Look at the att. and visualize raising and lowering the rear.
Steering.gif

Last edited:
Back