free website stats program Low idle rpms?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Low idle rpms??

98ROADKING

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to turn the warm idle down to low to where i'd have to worry about oil pressure to the cylinders? i mean i thought if the bike is idling there will be oil transferred where it needs to be.i know that it's proportional....the higher the rpm the higher the oil pressure. i do not have a tach,but would like the lowest idle for nice sound. Thanks

Low idle isn't what you want. It is what it is and it needs 1000 RPM's to keep not only the oil pressure up but also the charging system working properly to charge the battery properly.

Glider hit it if yours is injected it need to have almost 12volts for the computer to run it properly .. which requires the higher idle to keep the Charging system up

oh ok glider thanks...i wasn't ebven thinking about the charging system.i was concerend about the oil pressure, but it makes sense. what do i do about a tach.....i don't have one? and yes it is injected

You can get a hand held tach just to set the speed or add a tach to the bike permanently.
I saw the (Ride: 1998 ROADKING C/I) in your avatar area and figured you were FI.

oil pressure or charging isnt the biggest problem with idling a harley motor real low(any harley motor),the problem is the rod bearings,a very low idle(that some riders seem to like)will acually flatten your rod rollers over time,not a good thing to do

Back