free website stats program loose shift lever | Harley Davidson Forums

loose shift lever

motor

I've been having a slight rattle in my shift linkage on my 99 flht.32,000 miles.After checking things over a little it seemed the shift lever was loose on the shift shaft coming out of trans .Tightened the clamp bolt just short of breaking.Checking around ,found out it wasn't uncommon to have the splines getting worn and causing this .In fact local Harley Dealer had looked at and told me the lever or maybe shaft splines were my problem.So i pulled my inner to swap levers and Long story short ,it is not the splines on shaft or lever .The shaft itself has a minor amount of freeplay(probably less than 1/16") before it touches the spring? .It is minor ,but enough to cause rattle.Does the centering adjustment have anything to do with this freeplay? If not where would clearance originate?

I've been having a slight rattle in my shift linkage on my 99 flht.32,000 miles.After checking things over a little it seemed the shift lever was loose on the shift shaft coming out of trans .Tightened the clamp bolt just short of breaking.Checking around ,found out it wasn't uncommon to have the splines getting worn and causing this .In fact local Harley Dealer had looked at and told me the lever or maybe shaft splines were my problem.So i pulled my inner to swap levers and Long story short ,it is not the splines on shaft or lever .The shaft itself has a minor amount of freeplay(probably less than 1/16") before it touches the spring? .It is minor ,but enough to cause rattle.Does the centering adjustment have anything to do with this freeplay? If not where would clearance originate?

The only way i can answer you.... On my 2000 FXDS(gone now) while a 5 speed... There seamed to be a little play but no rattle... Does it shift good and not other problems but Rattle???

I would leave the adjustment alone IF the tranny Shifts good and Shifting in Not the problem...

If shifting is good, but just Loose Arm, you can fix it like New...

I take off the shift arm and tighten it together then take a hacksaw and cut down thru the pinched together material Rejuvenating it ,, cutting down the "split" and removing materials...
Put in a New bolt and tighten down to specks... That makes the Worn splines able to be tightened... You might have to do the squeeze and Cut thing a couple of times to get a good fit...

signed....BUBBIE

The only way i can answer you.... On my 2000 FXDS(gone now) while a 5 speed... There seamed to be a little play but no rattle... Does it shift good and not other problems but Rattle???

I would leave the adjustment alone IF the tranny Shifts good and Shifting in Not the problem...

If shifting is good, but just Loose Arm, you can fix it like New...

I take off the shift arm and tighten it together then take a hacksaw and cut down thru the pinched together material Rejuvenating it ,, cutting down the "split" and removing materials...
Put in a New bolt and tighten down to specks... That makes the Worn splines able to be tightened... You might have to do the squeeze and Cut thing a couple of times to get a good fit...

signed....BUBBIE

No other problems other than slight rattle ,shifts smooth (relative term)
I like your trim the lever idea .But the play is not between the lever and shaft.Tiny bit of play before the shaft makes contact in trans .I don't know enough about harley trans to begin to figure out where play would be.Doesn't seem to affect anything ,other than at idle it will start kinda rocking back and forth enough to rattle .I know HD are not Known to be rattle free. But any rattle that can be addressed will be on my bike.

No other problems other than slight rattle ,shifts smooth (relative term)
I like your trim the lever idea .But the play is not between the lever and shaft.Tiny bit of play before the shaft makes contact in trans .I don't know enough about harley trans to begin to figure out where play would be.Doesn't seem to affect anything ,other than at idle it will start kinda rocking back and forth enough to rattle .I know HD are not Known to be rattle free. But any rattle that can be addressed will be on my bike.

Not knowing your bike, another member said something about the adjustment of the shifting positions of the foot-heel to change weight to take up on the Rattle..... Just a thought.. I would Not do any adjustment IN the box as all is working well..

signed....BUBBIE

I think I just remembered the "CURE" for the rattle.... It was on another bike Like Yours...
They put a washer of some sort, metal or rubber backed,,,, Behind the shifter arm on the tranny to tighten Just a little and take out the rattle...

Maybe someone will Remember This here and Help to get this Right...

I think back several weeks or more..Pretty sure the washer was the trick...

signed....BUBBIE:D

Motor,

I just did the same routing on my 03 FLHR. The splines on my lever were definatley worn. I too had some free play in the with the new lever on. The lever is tight to the tranny shaft, no play there. The play I had was from front to back (shifting motion) and some inboard and out. Like you stated though, it was a very small increment. Not enough to raise any flags in my mind. I threw it back together and it shifts so much better, its ridiculous. I had a lot of slop that I was dealing with. I almost had to re-learn the shift feel afterwards.
I would think that if you had a bunch of slop it would leak, I would say if it aint leaking, put it back together and ride that joker!

Bodeen

I think I just remembered the "CURE" for the rattle.... It was on another bike Like Yours...
They put a washer of some sort, metal or rubber backed,,,, Behind the shifter arm on the tranny to tighten Just a little and take out the rattle...

A wave washer would do the trick, I dont know why my wife says I have old timers im pretty livid right now LOL:D

I like that plan ,thanks .There is a wave washer up front on the toe shift shaft (heal is removed).And i'm replacing bushings in the front.Just very lightly loading the shift lever against the case.Very lightly

Also take a couple needle bearings and drill two holes the size of bearing in the area between the arm and the shaft drive them in and retighten cut off excess bearing. problem solved

Back