Loose bolts!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by FLIPBEL, Jan 31, 2011.

1. FLIPBEL

FLIPBEL Member

I discovered two drops of oil under my bike. I started to search and discovered that two bolts that hold a small muffler bracket (RIGHT SIDE) and are also part of what hold a cover that I think is part of the clutch were loose (hand loose). Oil was everywhere under the engine. I was able to tighten up the bolts and clean up the bottom. My bike (2009 EGC) has 9500 mile on it. No leak yet. My question is, has anyone else experienced this situation?

Thanks!!!!!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
  2. fiveoh455

fiveoh455 Active Member

I have the same bike ('09 EGC.) I haven't had an issue with mine, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on those bolts.

3. FLIPBEL

FLIPBEL Member

I was not too happy but the problem is fixed. I will also keep an eye out.

4. trvlr

trvlr Junior Member

08 EGC here, and no problems that I've seen with oil leaking. But thanks for posting the pics and detail on this.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  6. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

Doesnt look like the tranny cover bolts, but muffle bracket bolts going into the tranny itself. What a strange design...

7. craig Lee

craig Lee Active Member

Happened on my '08 SG. Just a couple of drops on the pavement, but caught it right away and had my indie co. tighten the two bolts. Not sure how many miles at the time, but had my Baker DD7 put in around 43,000 miles so it was between 18,000miles (when things started to happen) and 43,000 when the DD7 was installed. I know of 2 other bikes in Southern Cal that the same two bolts became a little loose. Maybe the vibrations, etc. of the exhaust?

8. Jack Klarich

That is why they loosen up with the torque and movement of the engine:s

9. dogg

dogg Member

2011 limited One of the front exhaust nuts was missing altogether. Clutch out of ajustment, shifts like a tractor. When it is hot the primary sounds like the old open primary on bikes. Bike only has 300 miles. But the dealer says it is all normal.

10. Jack Klarich

Not the first time I have seen these exhaust nuts fall off, They are a cheap torque prevailing nut The MOCO should come up with a better one, poor PDI on the bike IMO I replace the nuts with grade 8 nuts and lock washers, tho the dealer will use the same ones from the factory, dont settle for They all do this it is not good enough, Capital Jack