free website stats program Looks like I have an intake manifold leak -2002 FLSTCI | Harley Davidson Forums

Looks like I have an intake manifold leak -2002 FLSTCI

I let my bike warm up. At idle it sounded fine. Once I started to ride it around it would start to falter. At this point I took to spraying water around the intake manifold joints. Shortly after you could see drips of water coming out of the air intake as well as bits of steam. I assume this means that air is probably seeping into the manifold and casuing the sputtering issue. How much of a job is it going to be to replace the manifold? Do I need to replace the manifold? Should I just replace the gaskets? If so how difficult of a job is that? Do we have any links describing how to?

I don't think I would spray water around the intake. Usually an intake leak wont let the bike idle. You may have a clogged fuel filter or broken fuel line in your tank. I didn't notice if you are fuel injected or not.

Once I started to ride it around it would start to falter.

That is not alot to go by. Like Joe says, usually an intake leak will effect the idle. I would verify with propane enrichment to be sure. Some electrical things could cause what your dealing with. More info on bike & what it is doing would help.

I agree with Joe, it is probably a pin hole in one or both of the lines inside the tank.
Go here to learn about how to fix it.

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

There are several ways to fix this. You can go to an auto parts store and get 5/16 SAE J30R10 fuel injection line to replace the plastic flex line. Just make sure that it is SAE J30R10 and not SAE J30R9 hose. The latter is NOT designed for in tank use.

Or you can order replacement flex line here.

Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more

They also have the SAE J30R10 line if you can't find it locally. If you decide to use the flex line, split the old ones length ways and use it to act as a shield on the new ones.
If you go to Harley to get the kit to replace the filter it will come with the shorter of the two fuel lines. So you will need to buy the longer one. At Harley the longer one comes with the quick connect valve and runs about $30-40.
When I did mine I ordered the flex line and re-used the quick connect valve. I used a heat gun to soften the ends of the flex line to make it easier to install on the fitting. Just be careful not to melt the line with too much heat.

To check for an intake leak you want to spray WD-40 around the intake and see if the idle changes. No changes, no leak.

I let my bike warm up. At idle it sounded fine. Once I started to ride it around it would start to falter. At this point I took to spraying water around the intake manifold joints. Shortly after you could see drips of water coming out of the air intake as well as bits of steam. I assume this means that air is probably seeping into the manifold and casuing the sputtering issue. How much of a job is it going to be to replace the manifold? Do I need to replace the manifold? Should I just replace the gaskets? If so how difficult of a job is that? Do we have any links describing how to?

Please do not do this. Cold water on hot metal parts can do some pretty unpleasant things not the least of which is to warp the parts or worse.

Better to use WD40 or some other spray that will impact the sound of the engine (rpm) if there is a leak. But BE CAREFUL. That stuff is flamable!!

TQ

Depending on where you are in the world what the air temperature is what the moisture content of the air is whether you are carbed or fi but the symptoms could be carb icing

Brian

I don't think it is the intake leaking. If it was it would probably be most noticeable at an idle, when the leak would manifest itself the most. I think you may need to look at fuel lines in the tank (if injected) or plug wires if carbed as others have said. A little more input about the situation is in order here. Tell what all the bike is doing and at what rpm and throttle position and outside temps etc.

Back