Lookin for more ponies

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by jaxdwg, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jaxdwg

jaxdwg Active Member

I'm new to the engine section but have been at the dyna section for years, Hi all; I got beat by my buddy, he has an 03 ultra, injected, with 211 cams, rinehart true duals, and a stroker making it 96". I have a stock 02 wide glide, a/c and v&h 2into1 exhaust. He beat me but not terrible so I figured I'd send out a set of heads I picked up and have them worked over some, then put in some cams and go up 1 jet size on the main and lifting the needle a little. Was wondering if someone might know what cams might work best with stock pistons but with head work and the thinner head gaskets, exhaust and jetting? I am looking to keep good grunt on the low and mid range and still idle decent and maintain longevity. Thanks for any help----jack

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

It would be a good time to consider doing the roller chanin conversion and hyd tensioner upgrade. I am using the Andrews 26N cams. Your bike is most likely due for tensioners. Good luck on deciding your build
    kemo

3. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

Hi jaxdwg, I would match his 211 cams, they are good cams that like a light bike and love compression, there so mild you can run stock push rods if you wanted. They don't beat the engine up so there good for longevity. S/E heavey breather will help also for sure. don't know how many miles you have on the bike but while the heads are off I would pop some S/E big bore cylinders with high compression cast pistons on the bike, and while I was doing cams I would also install hybrid cam plate and high flow oil pump kit
    and if you still have any money the S/E 44mm CV carb with manifold would be the icing on the cake. I would make sure if you have the heads done who ever does them has a proven track record, lots of people out there THINK they know heads. With the set up I quoted even with out heads you will have to keep pulling over to wait for your bud to catch up:) If you just want to do cams I would still go 211's

4. jaxdwg

jaxdwg Active Member

Thanks guys, now, who does good head work?

5. B-1B_Guy

B-1B_Guy Junior Member

jax,

I spent months researching cams and heads because it's crucial they match. I ended up with a wood cam and hillside heads. I talked to S&S, CycleRama, HQ, BigBoyz and several others before I decided on Hillside Cycle for my headwork. Lots of good machinists out there, the big thing is that your porting matches your cams. IMO, give Bob Wood a call and take his advice.

6. Caper

Caper Active Member

Whoever you choose for headwork(good list above, I'd add Larry's Motorcycle &Machine) talk to them, tell them your goals and they'll recommend a cam to match their work and you won't be disappointed. I'd suggest getting your stockers done instead of buying a set of aftermarket heads.

7. jaxdwg

jaxdwg Active Member

Thanks; I picked up a set of stock 04 heads with 2k on them, with pistons and p/r tubes and lifter blocks and intake for 184.00 delivered. They absolutely look like they have 2k, ( I am a master auto tech and aircraft mechanic) but don't know that much about what works good on a Harley. I'll do all the wrenching but don't want to guess about the porting and matching set-up to get the best power and longevity from the proper combination. Thanks so much for the help------jack

8. FishHunter

FishHunter Active Member

Bob Wood cams, along with the proper cylinder head mods, lend themselves to a very quick bike, that can certainly show your buddies the tailight.:s

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

On my 2000 TC. ported n flowed heads, manley vales and springs . I had good luck going gear drive and using 570SS cams..

that being said I did thee much needed UP-GRADE with oil pump and cam plate,,, READ "andrews cam setup or something like that .... a lot of information ...

NOW DAYS i would go with the KIT about 429. from HD and a good set of cams , with you not going BIG BORE high compression , probably something less duration and lift would work.. the 570SS I used WERE set up in the springs when head work was don and NEEDS to BE....

If you find something in .500" lift that would do for a "bolt in cam" and having the cam "come on" at 2300/2400 MAX is needed and not HIGHER.... A BIGGER CAM DOESN'T MEAN MORE POWER there are a lot of THING that go into using a RIGHT CAM and it is SAID by the KNOWLEDGEABLE BUILDERS it is ALWAYS BETTER to go wit a SMALLER CAM than a TOO LARGE ONE.

good luck

signed....BUBBIE

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As others have said, the match of cam, heads ported and setup done by good head shop are critical...the last thing you need is a race ready, hard starting, ill tempered, high maintenance fire breather that eats starters and spends more time in the shop than on the road...