free website stats program Legal after market exhausts in UK? | Harley Davidson Forums

Legal after market exhausts in UK?

RAWLDYMAN

This one is for UK folk:
Is there any such thing as a road legal after market slip on exhaust for use in UK, which might be a wee bit louder/give a better note than the stocks? One that would pass MOT?
OR, do you have to re-fit the stocks every time you go through the test? If so, is it hard to do this?

My nearest mot tester got captured by the authorities for letting a harley with loud pipes through the test i think it cost him a few pennies now he will refuse to test a harley if it does not have correct pipes fitted
had to do a bit of searching to get a set for mot for the 92 softail
i seem to have the mufflers off and on the bikes for one reason or another quite regularly so its a simple and easy swap over for me the night before the test

Brian

Ive heard of bikes failing the test because of non compliant pipes (straightshots) and apparently testers here are becoming more fussy. If you want to be sure that you're not gonna have any problem with MOT by changing mufflers (whatever type they are) pre test, is it a difficult job - on Sportsters?

To remove the silencers just undoo the clamp that goes on the joint between silencer and header pipe then take out the mount bolts 1 on each silencer on my sportster
then simply pull the silencer off the header pipe however if its been on there a while may not want to come off try to twist and pull back and forth can also try to pull end of silenser up and down while you pull and eventually itll come off
clean off the end of the header pipe i then put some copper grease on the end of the header pipe helps the silenser slip on and off more esily in the future i have mine off and on a couple of time a year and they go on and off esily

Brian

Just ask before you take the bike to be tested,i've got the standard pipes to show the tester if me wants too see them on the bike

When I bought the 883 there were some screaming eagles (made around 2004) with it. The bike was re-jetted etc.. (as per the paperwork) but the person I bought it from took these exhausts off! any issues putting these back on now-a-days?

Hmmm was that a noise I heard or the creaking of exhaust bolts coming off...you boys in the UK are a V-Twin motoring delight!!

"Hello officer, so glad you can see my pipes have the noise compliance stamp right on 'em and caught that my speedometer calibration was off! Have a good Day...! Oh...I will do that officer"...get that noise fixed (put the mufflers back on) on and speedometer fixed (put that calibration download back in there)! :laugh

Last edited:
Back