free website stats program Lean Running? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lean Running?

Well, I got the TFI installed and it took me a couple of days to really fine tune it. But she runs pretty darn good now. I still get some popping on decel, but not to bad. It seems to idle a little high now and the rythm is constantly changing. Sometimes its a chugging and sometimes its an even putt putt. I found out, by the dealer, that it has the stage 1 down load on it and the big sucker airfilter set up. He told me the pipes where aftermarket, which is why they sound so good. When I was looking at the book for an exhaust gasket with the parts guy, it showed my pipes in the diagram. So, I don't know if they are stock or not. Can anyone tell from the picture?

03_Springer.JPG

I also installed new spark plugs and wires while I was at it. I went ahead and picked up some intake gaskets and decided to tackle those this weekend. I ordered the HD shop manual and picked up the star wrenches cause I want to do it right. I also tightened up my exhaust bolts, but just a little. I hope to tackle the front end wobble once the manual gets here. It got worse when I put new Avon Venom tires on it. wierd.

I hope to tackle the front end wobble once the manual gets here. It got worse when I put new Avon Venom tires on it. wierd.

Great about how the bike is running now with the TFI and all the other stuff you have done. You may be tweaking up the system a bit more as you go. Please look at your exhaust piping out of the rear cylinder head and splits to go each way to make sure you do not have a crack in the piping. It may be hidden by the heat shield.

I did not see anything in this thread about your front end wobble. What is that all about? Was that a different post?

TQ

Yeah, it was on someone elses post who had the same problem. The springer front end is squeaking and has a wobble. Glider said it might need some maintenance cause it might have been in the rain or washed a lot. It takes about two weeks to get in to the dealer around here, so I thought I would check out the shop manual and see what I might be able to do in the mean time.

I saw someone posted that they ran the bike in the dark and found a leak in the exhaust that way. I will have to give that a try but otherwise, just look pretty carefully. I replaced the small exhaust gasket where the secondary pipe plugs into the main pipe. Didn't help anything.

Well, I bit the bullet and replaced the intake gaskets today. I went ahead and replaced the exhaust gaskets while I was at it and inspected the exhaust pipes for holes or leaks. I didn't see anything. I also washed the filter with a kit and reinstalled it. I only got a chance to ride it once for a very short ride after I got done with everything so I really don't know how its doing yet. It did still pop on decel, but I will wait until tomorrow to ride it longer. I am sure the TFI will need to be adjusted again with the new parts. So I will get her warmed up tomorrow and then adjust the TFI and see what we get.

One more bit of information about the poss. lean condition, I had a 03 Road King Classic and the same conditions, with maybe 1 more, seem'd to want to feel like a stall on my first right turn going from 1st into 2nd. dealer and a local hd repair shop had no idea for the fix other than change my riding habbits. I own a auto repair shop and any lean conjdition we always check the fuel filter and than pressure. I had 18,000 miles on the bike at the time. I noticed that while i remove the console the wires to the ignition switch were part way dissconnected, with the old fuel filter out I tried to blow through it and it was plugged. After putting it back togeather all the problems were gone. I was able to down shift and decelerate with 0 back fire / with hooker mufflers. Total time for repair was about 1 hr.

Poppin can also be caused by an exhaust leak and in my experience that is the first thing I would check since he has been fiddlin with the exhaust. Let us not complicate the cornflakes here.

I checked pretty closely for any cracks or holes in the pipes and made sure I snugged up the exhaust head bolts. (new crush gaskets). I was very careful when I installed the intake rubber gaskets and snugged them up. I tuned up the TFI and the popping is almost gone. I still get the loud pop or backfire if I really get on it. It does it when I shift or decel fast. Other than that, its not too bad, but still frustrating.:bigsmiley30:

That’s very good that the bike is running better! About the front end wobble, well the Springer front end takes a lot of maintenance and you have to keep the rockers adjusted on it. I would take it in to the shop and have your HD mechanic check the rockers, they suck but it is something you have to do. But because of the extreme weight of the Springer front end, they have strange characteristics and depending on the degree of wobble, it might be something you have to deal with.

The wobble is pretty bad. I take it in on Saturday for a front end "tune up". I have heard that softails have an issue with a slight wobble, but mine is pretty bad. Thanks for the information, I haven't heard about the rockers before.

Back