free website stats program Know Your Security System | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Know Your Security System

In past model years the siren was an option that can be added. Not sure if in your year (2013) it was included. Knowing HD I would doubt that they give away the siren on your new bike but maybe so.

My new Ultra Limited has no siren, so no chirp when armed either. Dealer says the siren could be added. Not too sure what good the security system is without an audible alarm, but the lights flashing might really scare someone away :hummer

The "security system" disables the ECM unless the fob is present. The "Smart Siren" alerts that the bike is being messed with. Like so many other items, HD wants the customer to think they are getting a complete package, when in reality they are getting the starter kit, and need to spend more to get the whole deal.
Look in the self help section to see how you can install a Radio Shack siren that is every bit as loud as HD's $90 Smart Siren, and costs less than $5. You won't have a battery back up though.

The "security system" disables the ECM unless the fob is present. The "Smart Siren" alerts that the bike is being messed with. Like so many other items, HD wants the customer to think they are getting a complete package, when in reality they are getting the starter kit, and need to spend more to get the whole deal.
Look in the self help section to see how you can install a Radio Shack siren that is every bit as loud as HD's $90 Smart Siren, and costs less than $5. You won't have a battery back up though.
I followed Redfish-Joe's detailed instructions and installed the $6 radio shack 'siren' to my bike. Joe's detailed instructions from this site made the install a piece of cake. Probably the lowest priced/cost upgrade/install price you'll find for a Harley.

$6 radio shack 'siren' for $6? That is good! What is about garage remote? I would love to get smaller remote. I carry bulk one! :bigsmiley15:

On my 3rd Harley. All have either come with security or I added. Just purchased new 2013 Ultra Classic Limited. I'm really familiar with how the TSSM worked on my older bikes, but I'm having issues disarming the security with the turn signals and no fob. Most of the time I cannot disarm it manually. Occasionally, it will disarm. The first time I took it back to the dealership, they kept it a week and told me they couldn't find anything. I rode it home and the first time I tried it - same thing - won't disarm. I went back to dealership and they tell me the manual disarm is a one time shot for emergency and you HAVE to go thru an arm/disarm sequence using the FOB or you cannot re-enter the manual disarm mode. I think that is hot air. The security on the TSSM equipped models would let me disarm without the fob any time I wanted. The first time i took the bike in, it even had an error code indicating possible defective module. Is there anywhere I can find the exact specs on the HFSM and how it is supposed to work? I tried calling Harley's customer service line, but they tell me their "support" people can only speak to Harley Dealership service techs about specific issues. They can only assist with general questions. If I can't find some good info somewhere else, I guess I'll have to take the bike to another dealer and see if they have someone more knowledgeable on how the Security system really works.:wall
Thanks!

On my 3rd Harley. All have either come with security or I added. Just purchased new 2013 Ultra Classic Limited. I'm really familiar with how the TSSM worked on my older bikes, but I'm having issues disarming the security with the turn signals and no fob. Most of the time I cannot disarm it manually. Occasionally, it will disarm. The first time I took it back to the dealership, they kept it a week and told me they couldn't find anything. I rode it home and the first time I tried it - same thing - won't disarm. I went back to dealership and they tell me the manual disarm is a one time shot for emergency and you HAVE to go thru an arm/disarm sequence using the FOB or you cannot re-enter the manual disarm mode. I think that is hot air. The security on the TSSM equipped models would let me disarm without the fob any time I wanted. The first time i took the bike in, it even had an error code indicating possible defective module. Is there anywhere I can find the exact specs on the HFSM and how it is supposed to work? I tried calling Harley's customer service line, but they tell me their "support" people can only speak to Harley Dealership service techs about specific issues. They can only assist with general questions. If I can't find some good info somewhere else, I guess I'll have to take the bike to another dealer and see if they have someone more knowledgeable on how the Security system really works.:wall
Thanks!

Welcome to The Forum, have you looked here in the self help section? Alarms and Security Related Issues | Archive | HDTimeline.Com

Thanks!

The specific instructions are right in your owners manual. Follow them exactly and push the buttons quickly or it will make you start all over again. If after 3 tries it still doesn't work, turn the switch off and wait a few minutes. The whole idea about disarming it is in case you forgot the fob, so the fob is not needed to disarm it, if you have already programmed a PIN for it. Make sure when you do it, the bike is on the kickstand. If the fob is not within 8 ft and you lift it off the kickstand, the alarm activates. Have you already programmed a PIN???

Thanks!

I've already been through the self help threads;

I have a 2001 Road King (bought new) that had a similar issue as above. At about 4 years old, the security system started frequently refusing to "unlock" and the lights would flash (never hesitated to LOCK though). I replaced the fob battery...no change. Went through all the owners manual stuff, checked for stored codes, etc. Several dealerships in several states were unable to come up with anything other than "We could replace the security module and see if that fixes it, $$$$$". I quit setting the security system to prevent getting stuck/locked out of my ride.

At that same time, every time I would turn on the tank power switch, the lights would go through the flashing alarm mode. The flashing lights had no effect regarding start up, they just looked stupid on every start. I was sure glad there wasn't a siren to add to the show.

Eventually, after a couple more years, the "power on = light show" stopped. I just use the locks. I always thought the security system was stupid anyway.

Back