free website stats program K&N intake install...DONE! | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N intake install...DONE!

FerrousBueller

Just installed, "K&N RK-3910, Filter Kit" on my '09 Softail Custom.
The results so far... too easy. Took me about 4 hours to do from start to finish. That includes checking fit up of some of the parts, removal of H-D factory warning label, a few interruptions to answer the phone, and getting final approval from the Dog.

Recommendations:
1) Shop carefully! Instead of buying right away, I did an online shopping search with the manufacturers name and part #. I paid a little over HALF of MSRP.
2) Read instructions a few times! Instructions are available online at the link above for the K&N product. I read the instructions before doing the install, I was already familiar with the product before I opened the box! Then, I read the instructions again.
3) Organize! I had tools gathered and laid out as well as the filter kit before I started. I had a table to my left with the tools, and another table to my right with the parts out of the packaging. Sat on a milk crate between the tables that put me at a comfortable level to see what I was doing. A lift table would have been better, but, I was able to "make do" with what I had.
4) Take the phone off the hook and have dog treats in your pocket.
Minor notes:
This particular filter kit stands away from the motor 3/4 of an inch more than factory. I've taken a few short putts around the block and I hardly notice it. "T" handle wrenches would have been a good idea but not necessary.

ferrousbueller-albums-the+first+harley+that+belongs+to+me...-picture6416-small_intake_inlet_factory.jpg
ferrousbueller-albums-the+first+harley+that+belongs+to+me...-picture6416-small_intake_inlet_factory.jpg
tn775s3.jpg

tn776s3.jpg

tn777s3.jpg

tn778s3.jpg

tn779s3.jpg

tn780s3.jpg

ferrousbueller-albums-the+first+harley+that+belongs+to+me...-picture6442-that_label_has_to_go.jpg

I'm planning to give the new intake a good wringing out tomorrow along with some adjustments to the Dobeck EJK. Results to follow soon.

Thank all of you for the kind words! You are right Jack, it does sound better!

I reset the EJK back to the recommended base settings (I had them completely fouled up) and put on a little more than 100 miles today. I managed to resist twisting the throttle off the bars today, maybe next time.

Seemed like the motor pulled a little stronger than before. Leaving each stop sign was easier. Cruising over the mountain between San Jose and Santa Cruz, CA didn't require much shifting. The route to and from work will tell me more the next time I can take the bike. Rain is predicted after my weekend so it may be a few days.

Planning to leave the EJK alone for a while, maybe even switch it off for a few trips. I wired a toggle switch in the ground lead so I can make comparisons. I can tell you there is a noticeable improvement in the way the bike idles with the EJK on.

More information later...

Looking good FB...to flow even more air like the SE H-D Customs...you can open up the A/C even more by cutting back the chrome cover a bit... :s

tn182s3.jpg

Looking good FB...to flow even more air like the SE H-D Customs...you can open up the A/C even more by cutting back the chrome cover a bit... :s

tn182s3.jpg

Does that just allow more air in, or, does it also allow colder, more dense air because the opening is away from the cylinders?

How would you even make this cut?

What do you do about the exposed edges of the cut now that the chrome has been removed?

Cruising over the mountain between San Jose and Santa Cruz, CA didn't require much shifting.

I remember making the trek when I lived in NorCal during my high school years. Now I live in flat Florida :)

You might want to try to buy a stock cover from ebay that is cheap and save your origonal one incase you do not like it. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy!

Cruising over the mountain between San Jose and Santa Cruz, CA didn't require much shifting.

I remember making the trek when I lived in NorCal during my high school years. Now I live in flat Florida :)

You might want to try to buy a stock cover from ebay that is cheap and save your origonal one incase you do not like it. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy!

Yup, that is a good suggestion, I'll start shopping for a cover soon. Still not clear how to cut it or what to do with the chromeless edges after the cut.

Does that just allow more air in, or, does it also allow colder, more dense air because the opening is away from the cylinders?

How would you even make this cut?

What do you do about the exposed edges of the cut now that the chrome has been removed?

Opening up the cover does allow a bit more colder/dense air availaable. Use Milling machine, radius edge and lapped smooth. :D

Last edited:
Great job & review. I added HarleyGoodie floorboard extensions after installing larger breather - 1" out was perfect & actually better riding position.

Back