K&N Air Filter Question-Please Help!

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by sampson80, Apr 21, 2013.

1. sampson80

sampson80 Member

Ok, I had a stage I done when my bike was purchased in 2011. All this time I thought the Air Filter was a K&N until I recently started to perform some of the routine maint myself and realized the filter is an "HD Dry Elemnt Filter". Yesterday, I went to the dealer and picked up a K&N. My problem is the "Dry Element filter" has the bolt in it "pictured" and the K&N I purchased doesn't (also pictured). I tried to remove this bolt but it seems that it isn't made to be removed so I stopped before I stripped it. Did I buy the wrong filter or can this bolt be removed and placed on the new K&N???

Attached Files:

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Where are the other stand off bolts , still screwed into the back plate? Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories Have a look here. this is what the whole kit should resemble

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. sampson80

sampson80 Member

Correct, the other two bolts are still in place on the bike... Is this not normal for the one to remain attached to the filter?

4. Jack Klarich

NO, there should be a small screw on the outside holding the filter to the stand off, there will also be a center bolt to hold your air cleaner cover on. When you get the stand off removed you will need to re install it ion the backing plate with some loctite, I do believe the install is in the self help section. let me know if you cannnot find it:D http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/t-49973.html Here ya go

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. sampson80

sampson80 Member

Thanks.. Looks like I am going to have to get a new stand-off bolt. I have stripped this one trying to get it off the old filter.

6. Jack Klarich

:s Good Luck and let us know how this turns out, did you do the original install or is a dealer responsible for this?

7. sampson80

sampson80 Member

It was the dealer that originally installed. This was my first time removing the filter so I thought it was normal for that one bolt to come out with it even though it seemed odd..... now I know. I finally got it off, and now have the K&N on. Gonna get some loctite this week and apply to that standoff bolt. All is well. Thanks for the help.