free website stats program K&N 1309-1 filter leaking oil | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N 1309-1 filter leaking oil

greasit

I was getting oil leakage from the filter cover blowing back over my clothes after a long ride at turnpike speeds. Not a lot only annoying. The bottom of the filter was dripping oil coming from the cylinder head vents. I made a tee out of two 1/4" OD pieces of stainless tubing welded together and attached the tee to the vents with two 90 degree pre-bent 1/4"rubber hoses tie wrapped to the breather vents. The hoses held the tee up and the other end lay in the intake. all the oil gets sucked in the intake as I thought it should do. I've put on a couple of thousand miles and did not use any oil or notice any milage change.
Do you guys think the oil going into the intake directly will cause any problems?
Thanks

Too much oil getting sucked into the intake will cause carbon build up faster

Carbon build up would be the problem with burning the oil. What level do you keep your oil at on the dipstick?

Carbon build up would be the problem with burning the oil. What level do you keep your oil at on the dipstick?
I keep the oil level down 1/2 qt. low and have never had to add any oil in the past. I change it every 2500 to 3000 miles. As I said its only drops of oil coming out of the filter every 200 or so miles. With the change no extra oil is accumulating in the air filter. Isn't the vent oil supposed to be sucked in with the air anyway. I'm 74 years old and don't want to listen to the better half complaining about a spot of oil on her white jeans.

Back