free website stats program Just mixed Mobil1 20w50 with 10w40 in engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Just mixed Mobil1 20w50 with 10w40 in engine

tazmnaz

Just did a complete change of oil in all 3 holes. I decided to put Mobil 1 V Twin 20w-50 in everything.
I was on the last top up of the engine when I noticed the container was MX4T 10w-40.
Everything has the 20-50 in it, except the last 8/10 of a liter of MX4t 10w-40 in the engine. I di do a scavenger flush, so it was complete fresh oil. II did not sart it since the top up realization. Is there anything wroing or what do I need to know before driving this way.
I could drain the engine again and top up with VTwin, but it would probably take 3.5 - 4 liters at $14.00 a pop here.
I know, next time make sure everything is correct off the shelf, but what about this time?

Thanks.

I am no oil chemist but I'd have a hard time dumping all that brand new oil for that reason and think you will be safe enough running it that way. Maybe change the oil a little sooner than normal next time?

It amazes me that the commercials are so good, people want to use it in everything. Now that's good advertising.

Your engine will be fine with the MX4 mixed in with the Vtwin. Thousands of dealer serviced Harleys have the same oil in all holes, and are still running fine.
I much prefer synthetic gear oil in the trans, but you can do it next time. Or do the next trans service a lot sooner.

I did a lot of reading on the V Twin before making the decision. Most of what I read was that there is no need for GL5 and harley recommends their 20w-50 syn in there, so I thought the Mobil 1 V twin 20w-50 was a good step up. A fair number are using it. I can try it to see how it performs, then switch out next if not. I also called the local dealer and they said it would be o.k.
I am just rying to see if there is any big issue with the Vtwin 20w-50 mixing with aome Mx4t 10w-40. I know the Mx4t (or racing 4t) has extra SM,SL & SH quality in their specs and is not as good for hot weather, but hoped someone might know more that can tell me o.k. to ride or drain and go over.

I did a lot of reading on the V Twin before making the decision. Most of what I read was that there is no need for GL5 and harley recommends their 20w-50 syn in there, so I thought the Mobil 1 V twin 20w-50 was a good step up.

Where ever you read that the GL5 wasn't needed in the trans is really on the wrong track.

Actually you can run peanut oil in there too but if you want what is best for the gears, they you use a gear oil, not an engine oil. Sure you will not throw the gears out through the case using engine oil but the wear factor between the gears will be more than an oil that is designed with certain additives to protect the gears. Use the peanut oil, it's cheaper yet. :s

As far as what the dealer tells you..... I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Some dealers still use syn 3 in all three holes. I have seen trans bearings and shift forks that were blue from improper lubricants used like engine oil (syn 3) in the trans so you can decide if you want to spend $15k-$20 for a bike and use something that is recommended by a dealer who in a lot of cases has profits in mind and not what is best. I on the other hand have no profits in mind and tell you what I have found that works best from many years in business and first hand experience and results.

You can make your own decision based on these facts.

Tranny, well lets just say that you gave it a good flush, now put in your favorite "gear oil". There are many good threads on gear oil here.
As far as the engine, My opinion, run it with the oil you have in it.
Ride Safe!!
wilks3
:USA

Back