free website stats program jiffy stand spring | Harley Davidson Forums

jiffy stand spring

roadrashman

I recently trailered my bike (05 RK) when I was putting it back on the trailer while going up the ramp the spring for the jiffy stand got snagged on the trailer and pulled off . It was still hooked to the stand but came unhooked from the frame. I found a hole in the frame hooked the spring to the stand and frame but it doesnt seem to pull the stand tight to the frame while up. Any help would be appreciated I cant figure out why it's not pulling up tight.

I recently trailered my bike (05 RK) when I was putting it back on the trailer while going up the ramp the spring for the jiffy stand got snagged on the trailer and pulled off . It was still hooked to the stand but came unhooked from the frame. I found a hole in the frame hooked the spring to the stand and frame but it doesnt seem to pull the stand tight to the frame while up. Any help would be appreciated I cant figure out why it's not pulling up tight.

The spring should COMPLETELY collapse when you have it off the bike. If there are gaps between the coils, the spring is probably damaged, and you will need to replace it. But to answer your question, I have an UC, and the jiffy stand on it is the same as your RK. The hole that is immediately in-line with the jiffy stand (when extended out) and on the bottom of the frame IS the correct hole for that end of the spring. If you install it and the jiffy stand hangs "limp" or flops down when you hold your front brake and get the fork oscillating by pushing down and forward on the handlebars rapidly, then you should probably replace the spring.

TQ

I used to have a 2001 E-Glide. I was riding the Talimena in Arkansas I kept hearing this wierd noise occasionally. I was riding thru the curves really enjoying myself and I leaned left just as the weak jiffy stand spring let the stand down and locked in position. The back wheel lifted off the pavement and I went down. After the bones all healed, the scars started fading way and the bruising stopped I commited myself to installing a new spring every spring. I figure after sitting all winter stretched out the spring is weak. The spring is cheap, about 4 bucks, and very easy to install.

Thanks for the tip. I'm always worring about that stand. What should you use to keep it lubricated.

Thanks for the tip. I'm always worring about that stand. What should you use to keep it lubricated.

I use an anti-seize lube. Put the bike on a lift, or carefully block it so it won't go over, and remove the kickstand from the bracket on the frame. Clean it up, and clean up the bracket. Lube the inside of the bracket with anti-seize, and coat the part of the kickstand that goes in the bracket. Reassemble and BACK IT OUT!!

TQ

5147d1206364738-side-stand-spring-jiffystandreplacemen.jpg

A tool I have found useful if you have to work on the left side of the bike, but don't have a jack to pick it up, is a lean-right. You can find out more about it at Motorcycle Stand And Service Tool, including a list of authorized dealers. I have a jack now for mine, but the lean right still comes in handy when cleaning. It is also safer than leaning the bike over on the jack.

JT99

Back