free website stats program Jagg / HD/ or other | Harley Davidson Forums

Jagg / HD/ or other

09ultra

Banned
I am thinking about an oil cooler. Much discussion on the best one. My question is this: Is there a "Best One" and are they worth getting? I know they will help make your engine run cooler, but how much and is it beneficial? Also, will they make a "Noticeable" difference with engine heat? I have eliminated most of the engine heat with my stage one install, but I am sure once the temps rise next year there is still room for improvement. I did do my 1000 mile fluid change today. Mobil One in the crank and SPECTRO platinum 6 speed in the tranny. Looking forward to the expected difference there as well.What do you think about Oil Coolers?

I have a 2008 UC. I put a oil temp gauge, in place of my air gauge. While driving on the freeway and around town it read around 230. I just put the HD oil cooler on and noticed a drop of about 30 degrees. This maybe a 2 fold application because 1 you cool your oil and 2 a little more capacity of oil. It was an easy addition to the bike. AND MORE CHROME.:D

Oil cooler are a good thing especially in the warmer climates. You can expect a reduction oil temps of approximately 20* using them and Jagg makes the HD units for them.

And the other nice thing about the HD cooler is it does not open to cool the oil until it reaches 185 degrees.

I went with the HD oil cooler kit. It was a bit pricey but the quality appears to be very good. It also has a built in thermostat which is important as you want to ensure that your engine oil comes up to proper operating temperature as soon as possible.

I have heard the Jagg kits are very good as well. They are also not cheap but this is an area where you want the best quality product you can get.

I installed mine before the wife and I headed out on a big trip in the summer down through Utah and across Nevada. Was very glad I did the install as riding fully loaded (just under 1300 lbs according to the highway scales) in 110 degree heat all day was making that engine work.

Although some say you dont need an oil cooler, anything that helps an air-cooled engine stay in the middle of its operating temperature range versus the higher end, is going to reduce wear and tear and give you more trouble free miles out of your engine.

Its no different then installing an oil cooler for the automatic transmission in your truck when using it for towing or heavy use.

The only issue I had with the HD oil cooler was with the really nice chrome cover that comes with it. The cover looks great but I found that the bottom of the cover was filling up with sand and crud because of the angle it sits at and lack of drain holes in the bottom. I ended up taking the cover off cause there is no way to clean it out and dont want any crap building up in there and damaging the fins or tubes.

In my opinion, an oil cooler is good insurance and money very well spent.:D

Unless someone here convinces me otherwise, I will not get the thermostat. Even Jagg says they are not needed. Seems to me if they fail you can have serious consequences, but there is no need for one in the first place. As far as engine heating up, I can't see where this would affect that at all. I never have heard of a HD V Twin running too cool or having any problem warming up. If I am off base let me know as I want to do it right the first time. I want as little chance for failure as possibe and unless there is good reason for the thermostat I would rather not have it.
Thanks.

Only problem with no thermostat is if you do a lot of short hops, the oil will really not get hot enough to rid the moisture in it. It takes about 10 miles of good riding to get oil up to temps.
If it reaches about 180* it starts to evaporate the moisture so if you do longer hauls, you're correct about no thermostat needed.

My nickle's worth:
I have run with a Harley premium cooler with t'stat for the last 4 years on my '04 Classic with 95 inch engine. I also have the dipstick temp gauge installed.
I have noticed that at any ambient of about 80 F or less, the oil warms up fairly fast to 180 F, then holds there.
When the ambient is over 80, it will climb slowly above 180 F usually no higher than 200 F. I have never seen it over about 215 F; even with the ambient over 100 F.

So I am sold, cooler with t'stat for me.

Rod

Unless someone here convinces me otherwise, I will not get the thermostat. Even Jagg says they are not needed. Seems to me if they fail you can have serious consequences, but there is no need for one in the first place. As far as engine heating up, I can't see where this would affect that at all. I never have heard of a HD V Twin running too cool or having any problem warming up. If I am off base let me know as I want to do it right the first time. I want as little chance for failure as possibe and unless there is good reason for the thermostat I would rather not have it.
Thanks.

In general I agree with the keep it simple philosophy. However, not in this case. If the thermostat fails open, it's like having the cooler with no thermostat. If it fails close, it's like having no cooler. Little risk either way. I'd say the benefits far outweigh the minor risk.

Last edited:
Back