free website stats program Is the cam upgrade really necessary? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is the cam upgrade really necessary?

its all up2 u as far as stock cams or upgrade. when i decided to switch 2 hydraulic,i went with the herko conversion kit so i had no choice but to pick an Andrews conversion cam.i like you didn't feel i needed anymore power.but then thought,well if i gotta buy cams i'm at least going 2 get some more torque. so i went with Andrews 21n grind and i could not be more happy i ride 2up 80% of the time and i must say it just runs better pulls hills so much better. seems i have a little more range in my gearbox.now a 21 grind Andrews cams is not a hot rod cam just a little extra torque. so if you think you would like a little more bottom end when riding 2up i'd say get cams.

A few years back, I upgraded my '99 Ultra to the hydraulic tensioners. I took the opportunity to upgrade the cams to Andrews 26N. These come on at about 1800 and are done by 4000. In addition, I went with a TFI unit, and a Big Sucker air cleaner to go along with the V&H slip ones that I already had on the bike. The difference in performance was more than noticible. Fuel MPG is about what it was with the stock setup. For me, it was worth it, but as many posts have pointed out, it's your ride so you decide. Good luck...BTW, don't forget tp replace the inner cam bearings with the newer units....

If you get the Hydraulic upgrade as a kit , you get the new camplate (anodized (too bad its hidden behind cam cover) as the hydraulic tensioners get their oil to pump up from the tiny holes in the camplate. You also get the high volume oil pump etc and you can still use your original cams but you have to state that when ordering as the other option is the cams don't have bearing in the cam plate and ride on a film of oil on the camplate itself. I prefer bearings to bushings so I got the bearing version. It's a beautiful kit for the money. My two cents.

=========================================================

its all up2 u as far as stock cams or upgrade. when i decided to switch 2 hydraulic,i went with the herko conversion kit so i had no choice but to pick an Andrews conversion cam.i like you didn't feel i needed anymore power.but then thought,well if i gotta buy cams i'm at least going 2 get some more torque. so i went with Andrews 21n grind and i could not be more happy i ride 2up 80% of the time and i must say it just runs better pulls hills so much better. seems i have a little more range in my gearbox.now a 21 grind Andrews cams is not a hot rod cam just a little extra torque. so if you think you would like a little more bottom end when riding 2up i'd say get cams.

I am also running the 21 andrews cam and i'm very happy with it especially when riding two up and climbing in the Rocky Mountains. When everyone else is kicking down to make the climb, mine just walks up the mountain like a mountain goat. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The real answer is "why not". Having a little more low end is like having a little more money, you may not use it but its there if you need it. :D

Back