free website stats program Is it true?. | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it true?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true?.
I found this on the forum HD.
"
I want to use synthetic in my bike, but a service manager told me not to. His reasoning was HD uses roller bearing on all its rotating surfaces except on one of the cam supports. He said of you use synthetic, the rollers tend not to roll because of the synthetic being so slick and over time a flat spot can occur. He also said roller bearings need some friction for them to roll that is why you need a petroleum base produce. Synthetics are very good and the engine will probably last a long time, but if you ever went back to petroleum base, the flat spotting will give you problems. It cost more for synthetic and you need to change the oil at the same interval. So why use synthetic.
"

In my opinion Harley will tell you anything because they want you to buy their products.
Synthetic oil can be run longer than dino oil because it does not break down as quickly as dino oil.
Take a look here on the forum, members have had their syn oil tested at labs with 5,000 miles or more and the results were very little break down.

Many members here have made the switch from dino oil to synthetic and have had zero issues.
If you have any concerns with noise or longevity of the oil then I say stay with what your running.

Why would any one run 5k on an air cooled engine is beyond me
I dont care what oil manufactures say they dont care they want to sell a product
CVO harleys were shipped with syn 3 oil dunno if they still are, my 17 had hd 360 from the factory

Synthetic is no slicker than regular oil.That is a myth.I think You should do some research on synthetic oil.Start with information from oil manufacturers.Penzoil,Mobil ,etc.Then try Bob the oil guy.Someone has You believing that synthetic oil is not to be tried,when it is the best thing made for any engine!!

I dont care what oil manufactures say they dont care they want to sell a product
CVO harleys were shipped with syn 3 oil dunno if they still are, my 17 had hd 360 from the factory

Talk to BUBBIE, he's had his oil tested with over 5,000 miles and the results were very little break down and they recommend he could run longer.

Synthetic oil was developed just for that reason, everyone has their own thoughts but i'll go with the scientific results.

Sorry but when thousands agree,and you don't,oh well.Of course you do say you don't care what oil manufacturers say.Guess that's the proof of the pudding.

Synthetic is no slicker than regular oil.That is a myth.I think You should do some research on synthetic oil.Start with information from oil manufacturers.Penzoil,Mobil ,etc.Then try Bob the oil guy.Someone has You believing that synthetic oil is not to be tried,when it is the best thing made for any engine!!

Harttoo, I'm not sure where you found that syn oil is not slippery than dino oil. Every article i've read and i've read many say the same thing, that one of the results of it is that it is more slippery than regular oil.

Can you show where it's only a myth? Because there are many articles that claim just the opposite.

Then ignore my posts, I have worked on enough engines to know what happens with oil, u do what your religion tells u Oil is a touchy subject I am just stating the oil companies could care less they will sell snake oil if they could turn a profit When u have a catastrophic engine failure who is going to warranty it Not the oil co

If I remember correctly when you had a catastrophic engine failure on your Dyna you were running dino oil and you change your oil every 3,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, this subject comes up every now and again.
The OP of this thread has 2 threads going with basicly the same questions or concerns.
Everyone has their own opinion on which oil is the best, the great thing is it's their opinion and my or may not work for you.

I say do your research and make the best educated choice you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back