free website stats program Ironhead drum brake question.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Ironhead drum brake question....

Lang

hey everyone,
does anyone know what the tolerance is on the rear brake drum on a 76 sporty. i need to replace the brake shoes and i see they offer an oversize set for worn drums. but how badly do they have to be worn to need them. and will the oversize still work in a drum thats not too badly worn? thanks

Wow, I had 77 Sporty but I never heard of oversize shoes. Do you have a service manual?

yeah, doesnt say in the manual. someone tol me that they think the oversize shoes were for drums that have been turned down, not so much worn. i guess i'll just try the stock size and see how they work.

I think you are doing the right thing ordering standard shoes. Read how to center the shoes in the manual. It is a critical step.

Measure the diameter of the drum, if you know someone with a drum micrometer have them mic it, if you have the drum machined whatever is removed (say.010) have the shoes oversized to match the maching of the drums, I cannot find a spec so I would guess .030-,050 would be a safe guess:s

Back