free website stats program Intermittent loss of speedometer, signals and power while riding | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent loss of speedometer, signals and power while riding

lynnukus1

1999 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC, modified big bore kit, screaming eagle power commander
Riding down the highway and the speedometer zero's out and then starts pinging up and down. At the same time the right and left turn signals stop working, the odometer flickers in and out, and the bike sputters intermittently. Checked the battery connections and ignition connections and they seem to be okay. Checked spark plug wiring, all connections from harness to the ignition switch. Removed and cleaned all connections to battery and chassis.
Any ideas?

1999 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC, modified big bore kit, screaming eagle power commander
Riding down the highway and the speedometer zero's out and then starts pinging up and down. At the same time the right and left turn signals stop working, the odometer flickers in and out, and the bike sputters intermittently. Checked the battery connections and ignition connections and they seem to be okay. Checked spark plug wiring, all connections from harness to the ignition switch. Removed and cleaned all connections to battery and chassis.
Any ideas?
WAP.gif

Had same problem with my Road Glide.
It was the speed sensor in the tranny covered with metal shavings. Cleaned it and it solved the problem.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Better check your Stator!! I had this happen to me TWICE. Isn't nice being stranded on the side of the road with a major job. Also check your voltage regulator. The first thing that went out was my fuel gauge, then the dash lights, blinkers, speedo.

Any luck diagnosing the problem?
If it is the stator I would think it would be effecting your voltage which is easy to rule out. And probably wouldn't go on intermittently for weeks.
I noticed before I cleaned off the speed sensor turning the ignition off and on would help sometimes temporarily and longer.
Either way could you post your findings.
WAP.gif

Check all your battery grounds. I had a similar problem. I removed the bolts holding the battery ground to the frame and cleaned it and al so put a star washer on it for better connection. helped me.

Back