intermittent downshift problem

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by artisan, Oct 15, 2008.

1. artisan

artisan Active Member

when i'm downshifting from 3rd to 2nd my bike sometimes shifts into neutral :33: but whilst in neutral i can't shift to 1st & have to shift back up into 2nd & then shift to 1st. really annoying at junctions/roundabouts.
    it only does this very occasionally,i'm pretty certain its not me (been riding bikes for 20 years & not had one do this before)
    i only noticed it after i had the forewards fitted-but i didn't do many miles with the stock mids.
    anyone else had this problem ?

2. theklanchXL1200N

theklanchXL1200N Active Member

you know man sometimes when my nightster is cold I will find neutral between 1st and second going up, but never down. Ask Hobbit, he is the sporty guru. I have forwards on mine too, I would say maybe something on the shift drum or in the tranny. How many miles are you getting to? Maybe too little or too much primary fluid? I doubt that. Good luck I'm interested to see what it is.........

3. Delmar

Delmar Active Member

I occasionally get similar phenomena while downshifting. However I can easily clear the gearbox by briefly letting out the clutch. Try it and see if it helps.

4. artisan

artisan Active Member

thanks for the replies guys,much appreciated.
    i'll check the linkage as you said Hobbit as i've decked it out a few times whilst cornering :D
    Delmar i've tried letting the clutch out to see if it clears but to no avail,i have to go back up to 2nd then back to first-but cheers for your help any way:bigsmiley12:.
    theklanch cheers mate-it seems to do it when its fully warmed up-wierd huh.
    btw those pipes on your bike look wicked :D