free website stats program Interesting Salesperson Response | Harley Davidson Forums

Interesting Salesperson Response

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I was killing some time in Vegas talking to several showroom salespersons (not sure if that's a word but it seems pretty politically correct!) about what model I wanted to move up to from my Sportster. I voiced my concern that on the Softail Heritage Classic you sit so low and the windshield is so tall that you are forced to look through the shield instead of over it if you are an even 6 foot tall like me. Salesperson's response was, "it's just something you have to get used to if you want the best protection."

I've always been under the impression that due to their less than ideal optical qualities, you're supposed to look just over the top of a properly adjusted windshield. This gives optimum shielding to the chest and body and deflects most of the windstream up over the head. If I want the "best protection" I'll get a model with a fairing like the Road Glide, Street Glide, or any ElectraGlide. This is why the serious touring models all have fairings and the hybrid/convertible models (Road King, Heritage) have windshields.

Am I way off base here?

with the Heritage, i am 5'5" and i can clearly see over the windscreen that comes as stock on the bike any higher and i would be looking thru it at 6ft you should be seeing over it by quite a lot

Wow, I don't know what to say - I've rented this model and sat on several of them in showrooms, and without exception I've been looking THROUGH the windshield. In fact, on the rental, it just about drove me crazy. The geometry worked out that going uphill, I actually was barely looking over the top but level or downhill, it was through the shield all the time.

Any other input/experiences out there?

I look through the windshield all the time on my FLHT and have no problems. Maybe it is something you are to get used to, but it's no big deal.

I think it's a matter of personal preference whether you want to look over or through the windshield, whatever you are comfortable with. Harley also sells different height windshield replacement screens that are taller or shorter than the stock one.

I'm 5'11" and am able to look OVER my windshield.
I've demo'd several Heritage Classics and have also had no problem seeing over the shield on those models too.

Regardless, though: I think the dealer rep is full of crap.
I don't recommend a shield you have to look THROUGH.
Everything I've ever read about proper shield height has the TOP of the shield set at JUST BELOW the riders sight line.
I'm lucky in that this is exactly where my Road King shield sits on my bike and I have not had to modify it.

Anyone ok with a windshield on their scoot that they have to look THROUGH must not do any riding in the rain/mist. Those shields would be hard to see through safely once they've got precipitation on it....AND the dealer rep should know that.

I LOVE the Heritage Classics and wouldn't recommend you walk away from one just because of the shield height...just factor in the cost of replacing the windshield if you buy the bike.

GOOD LUCK.

The windshield on my Maxim although it was old and a little foggier than without it, I had no problem with it. I hated that it cut my line of sight in half, so I usually tried to look through it or completely over it (I'm 6'4) and it was easy either way. I think however, I'm sticking with no windshield on my sportster.

I'm 5'11" and am able to look OVER my windshield.
I've demo'd several Heritage Classics and have also had no problem seeing over the shield on those models too.

Regardless, though: I think the dealer rep is full of crap.
I don't recommend a shield you have to look THROUGH.
Everything I've ever read about proper shield height has the TOP of the shield set at JUST BELOW the riders sight line.
I'm lucky in that this is exactly where my Road King shield sits on my bike and I have not had to modify it.

Anyone ok with a windshield on their scoot that they have to look THROUGH must not do any riding in the rain/mist. Those shields would be hard to see through safely once they've got precipitation on it....AND the dealer rep should know that.

I LOVE the Heritage Classics and wouldn't recommend you walk away from one just because of the shield height...just factor in the cost of replacing the windshield if you buy the bike.

GOOD LUCK.

Or at night with headlight glare/distortion or summertime covered with bugs!

When I mentioned these factors, she said, "you just have to keep it really clean!"

I think it's a matter of personal preference whether you want to look over or through the windshield, whatever you are comfortable with. Harley also sells different height windshield replacement screens that are taller or shorter than the stock one.

Harley and about a thousand aftermarket companies! Like someone else posted, I guess you just have to factor in the price of a new shield if the stock one don't fit your liking!

One of the service rep's where I bought my 07 Heritage Softail Classic said he could cut my windshild for $65.00. He just said he could always cut more off but never put it back. So $65.00 would cover a few cuts till it was right.

Back