Installing stainless bolts

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by sportyXL06, May 7, 2011.

1. sportyXL06

sportyXL06 Member

Hope I am in the right spot been awhile I am installing polished stainless bolts on my 1200 sporty . On the tranny cover and drive cover any recomendations on what I should put on bolts if anything ! was told anti seize and blue loc tite don't really know which one to use any opinions some help would be greatly appreciated

2. Dswartz

Dswartz Active Member

You really need to get yourself a service manual. The manual will tell you exactly what to put on and how much of it to use. For cover bolts I'm sure it will call for blue loc-tite but just check the manual for your specific bike.

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I am thinking that you should coat the threads with anti seize and torque to spec.
    Ken

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

I hope you are aware that the SS bolts do not have the same hardness scale as the standard grade 8 bolts especially where used in a high stress area.

5. HarryB737

HarryB737 Junior Member

On covers that require periodic maintenance ie "Derby" covers I use anti-seize. On other areas as Glider mentioned, use caution when choosing SS bolts, as these are not as strong.

6. Crocker

Crocker Active Member

Yes you were told rite when using SS bolts use anti sieze SS bolts will mar the threads .

7. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Not to mention that SS and aluminum do not play nice together and cause a reaction due to two dissimilar metals. Anything less than anti seize could be a problem IMO.

Bodeen

8. jetwrench

jetwrench Member

I agree with posts above but in my experience with hard and brittle fasteners like stainless, titanium etc. As long as you use some kind of anti-seize or loctite, which both are thread lubricants and corrosion inhibitors you will be just fine.

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Is the OP just going for look, or is there a reason for swapping hardware? If it's look you're after - then get a set of "Hot Toppers" for your bolts - easier than changing everything out...JMO.

10. sportyXL06

sportyXL06 Member

Thank you very much for your input guys I am going to go with blue loc tite on the bolts it's a sporty a little more vibration so why take the chance of any bolts loosening up. I was going to go with hot toppers but I have seen that on some of my friends bikes that when they had to take them off for repairs the bolt heads were severly corroded and they had a hard time removing them. So I will go with what I have for now