free website stats program Installing solo rack | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing solo rack

DynaBike

I bought a rigid solo rack ( 52796-09 ) which should arrive this week. I downloaded the instructions to get an idea of what I have to look forward to. It all looks pretty easy until I came to the part that says I have to jack the rear wheel off the ground so I can unbolt the lower end of the rear shocks. I don't have a bike lift. Anyone have a quick/cheap tip for raising the back end ?
Anyone else install this rack that might have any advise ? Thanks.

I have a softail, but same basic principles. You have to be able to get under the fender to hold the dumb end of the bolt that holds down the back of the luggage rack. Tight fit for big arms. I don't think the quick release (dime slot) screw for the back seat is not big enough to hold the rack down. So they use a bolt.

Since its a quick job, I suggest using a buddy, Have him hold the bike upright by stading with the front wheel between his kneees and holding the handle bars. Use a floor jack to get some weight off the back tire then get the screw in... then lower it back. If you are quick and careful this might work for a quick job like that. Forunately you have the dyna fender that is way easier to reach under than a Heritage...

Make a jack.

I used some timber to make this. I just put it under the bike frame and lever it up. It did a turn until I bought a scissor jack. The carpet stops any scratching.

P1020060.jpg

P1020059.jpg

You just want to be real careful not to let it tip over... duh right?

I get by without one, but I am going to buy a decent lift this spring. I really like the idea of getting the bike up in the air. No lower back problems that way.

Got my rack installed Saturday. Went pretty smooth. Tied the front end on both sides (to cars) to keep the bike upright and steady, then slid a scissor jack, with a short board on top, under the frame behind the trans. Rear wheel came right up, no problem. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but for a one time deal, it worked great. Just as a note for anyone else that might ever install the rigid rack, it goes MUCH smoother if you remove the shocks entirely and not just the bottom bolt. This is so you can remove the chrome covers from the rear frame extensions. The rack slips right into place without those chrome covers in the way.

Post a picture. Always cool to see what people are doing. I'm getting a solo rack too, so interested in seeing one installed.

Back