Installing Lower Chrome Belt Guard

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by risuperglide, Nov 14, 2010.

1. risuperglide

risuperglide Active Member

Today I counted three bolts holding on my stock plastic lower belt guard on my 2010 FXDC. Is installing a new HD Chrome one as simple as removing these bolts & bolting on the new one? Or is there more to it than that?...:34:

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Check the instructions that should be with it but it's an easy job. Some install on top of the stock cover and are not a complete cover but just cover the stock one.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

This might help:
    Designed to cover the Original Equipment black lower debris deflector, this mirror-chrome finished cover adds an exceptional finish to the rear drive components. Kit includes required mounting hardware.

4. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Do you have a part # for this?

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

7. Blue Wide Glide

Blue Wide Glide Junior Member

Make sure that the clearance between the guard and the rear pulley is adequate, especially if you have added a chrome pulley cover. If they are too close, they will rub at higher speeds. I bent mine out slightly to make sure this didn't happen. It did happen on another bike I owned. The third (front) screw was VERY hard to get at, so do not remove it unless you have to. The instructions say you don't, but sometimes Harley instructions are just slightly inaccurate.:lolrolling

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

While HD does try to be accurate...sometimes "slightly" is just enough to generate threads on a forum...that or after a few "knuckle-busting" blood riddled minutes...:newsmile100:

9. FXD2003Rider

FXD2003Rider Member

Still not allowed to post links so copy/paste this textline

harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J03904.pdf

into your browser ansd add www. in front of it and hit <enter>. Now you'll find the Instruction Sheet for the chrome debris deflector p/n 60489-06A and 60514-07.

According to the IS there's no need to take off the front screw. I have a similar chrome deflector mounted on my FXD2003, which goes over the stock plastic cover. In order to prevent the chrome one comming of fthe oem cover, I added double sided adhesive tape as well.

FXD2003Rider

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

This I like been there done that Doh it hurts am I bleeding :newsmile100: