free website stats program Installed Doebeck Gen 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed Doebeck Gen 3

ronhend

I installed a Gen 3 today.
It was a straight forward install with no surprises. Took me about 2 hours, but I work slow anyway.

The bike started right up and ran great.
The Gen 3 comes set up for a stage 1, my bike is stock.

I called Chris at Dobeck and ask if he had some different settings for a stock bike.
He suggested that I ride the bike a while with the stage 1 setting and adjust as needed.
Noticed two things right away:
1. The decelaration pop/backfire is gone.
2. Normally when I fill up the computer shows approx 235 miles until reserve,
Filled up and it showed 215 miles until reserve.
So I guess it sees the richer mixture meaning less fuel mileage.
So far I like what I see and feel that I can back off the stage 1 settings and get back some of my gas mileage.

I know the bikes come lean from the factory so it make sense that fuel mileage will suffer a little.

Ron

I think you convinced me here, you installed the Doebeck before the air and exhaust and it is running fine? See that is kind of the route I wanted to go, doebeck, then A/C then if necessary, exhaust. I really like the look of stock so may do the 1" hole in baffle trick when the time comes...so, any advice here? The basic advice I got earlier made sense but put the A/C and exhaust before the Doebeck...but it made sense to me to go the Doebeck first as it is already to go for the upgrades as they come.

Glad your install went well and that you are happy with the product. You may be better suited to give up some of the fuel mileage for a cooler running bike. Let us know how it goes for ya.

Bodeen

Have you noticed a marked difference in the HEAT! Trying to figure my first big mod.

If you go with this one first, it will lessen the pain for the others. When you change exhaust and A/C you'll need the extra fuel and you will already have that capability IMO.

Bodeen

I've only ridden one ride so far, so not sure about the heat issue yet.

I report back when I get a few more rides in.

Ron

Ok, I just went for a 30 min ride.

I feel that the heat is just slightly better.

It's hard to describe, but the bike just seems to run better, much smoother.
Plus it's nice not to have the decel backfire.

So far I'm pleased.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode in a Patriot Guard Riders event yesterday that covered about 3 hours of riding.(approx 200 bikes)
It included a 20 minute ride at low speed(5 to 15 mph) in 94 degree Georgia temp's. It was very hot!!
I still have the GEN 3 set on the default stage one settings and feel that it runs great.
No issues at all, it really seems to like the extra fuel.:)
Smooth and no decel popping.

Checked the fuel mileage after I got back and saw 42 mpg.

Very satisfied with the Doebeck product at this point!!:small3d028:

Ron

Back