free website stats program Installed Andrews 21G cams, Wow! what a difference | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed Andrews 21G cams, Wow! what a difference

R.Bingham

Last weekend I changed out my cams to the Andrews 21G gear drive cams. I finally got rid of the tensioners so I don't have to worry about that any more. My 6 1/2 year old daughter helped me do the job. ( Boy is she gonna make someone a great wife some day, can cook and work on Harleys :p)
To get the old cams out and press the new ones in I used the oven/freezer method. Since we homeschool this also made for a great science project. I was able to show her what the effects of heat and cold can have on objects.
GEDC0131.jpg

GEDC0132.jpg

Well now that the job is done I can say that I'm very pleased with the cam selection. It now pulls better at all rpms, goes through the gears a little bit faster and is definitely quicker. :D

I went with the gear drive instead of the conversion cams because my crank runout was only .002. I also got a great deal on the cams because the were slightly used.
I did not have to re-map my ecm. I have the stage one download. I have not had any issues with popping or pinging.
I recommend this cam or the conversion 21N version to any with the old style tensioners considering and upgrade.

Randall

As Breeze said, now that the "lab" research is over, time to get out and "road test"...! :D

I have much respect for you including your daughter in the project. If everyone would spend more time with their children the world would be such a better place. Here is a Happy Fathers Day for you ahead of time because you must be a great one!

Outstanding job by both you and your daughter, sir. I'm not surprised that the stage one download works for you, although it's almost universal here to recommend the TFI fueler as mandatory to keep from running lean. Since I don't have a 6 1/2 year old daughter I had the local Harley shop convert my spring-loaded tensioners to the SE kit with the hydrolic tensioners, keeping the stock cams. I thought about gear driven cams, but ended up going with the SE kit, partially because of the extras with it like the billet cam plate and better oil pump. I also went with the stage one download and see absolutely no symptoms of running lean. It's good to see a Dad and daughter working on such a worthy project together.

Randall, Sounds like a job that went well and you had fun doing it. I know you said you have a stage 1 map but you may want to look into giving the engine a little more fuel. The cams will increase the VE to both cylinders. That is why the engine feels stronger. Anything that increases the VE will lean out the engine when it is fuel injected and there is no mass air flow sensor. Trust me, don't go by pinging or popping.

Just shooting from the hip, I would say you could easily lift both tables by a global 10%. I assume your FI & Delphi..

You're a smart man, new cams under the guise of a "science project".
:newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100: That's funny. I wished it would have been that easy to get my wife to by off on it. But once I told her what I was gonna do she liked the idea of the science experiment.

Randall, Sounds like a job that went well and you had fun doing it. I know you said you have a stage 1 map but you may want to look into giving the engine a little more fuel. The cams will increase the VE to both cylinders. That is why the engine feels stronger. Anything that increases the VE will lean out the engine when it is fuel injected and there is no mass air flow sensor. Trust me, don't go by pinging or popping.

Just shooting from the hip, I would say you could easily lift both tables by a global 10%. I assume your FI & Delphi..
I have no doubt that if I were to add a SEST and a dyno tune it would perform even better. The nice thing about this cam is I can do my improvements in stages. I plan on saving up for a big bore kit and a SEST. It will probably take me a couple of years to get the funds together. In the meantime I can enjoy what I have done so far.:D I did check with others who had done the same cam and a lot have not done any re-mapping either.

Randall

Nice thread and answered Post content excellent.. Good picts...

I can see by the Look in your Daughters Eyes,, that the "back seat" is only a Temporary Position for her...

Enjoy Life!

signed....BUBBIE:D

Great job and getting your daughter involved, big kudos, better sleep with one eye opened she is gong to be a heart breaker :D

Back