free website stats program inner primary | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary

kevinp

hi every one. I am planning to pull the primary apart to change inner seal and bearing while im in their. and any thing else that i can find since its apart.$$$$
I have read the manual and watched several vids . now what i need to know is, in the book it says to loosen tranny to motor bolts. why on earth would you do that if primary, tranny and motor are all lined up allready?the book says its crucial. is it? this all started with the idea of an auto adjuster. Man ive got to stop thinking and just ride like my bud keeps telling me. lol

The two components need to be loose to insure a good alignment between engine and trans. Also the eng. and trans. are mounted separately with the inner primary bridging the two. Inner primary cracks due to flex are not uncommon if bike is shifted hard.

When i pulled the inner primary on my 94 wide glide to replace the main shaft oil seal i did not disturb the engine or the gearbox and it all went back together again without any problems that was over 4 years ago and is still good today
Ensure that when you re fit the inner primary that you seal the bolts that go into the gearbox as it is a pest to have it all back together again and after 10 miles the primary oil is leaking out past the bolts

Brian

hi every one. I am planning to pull the primary apart to change inner seal and bearing while im in their. and any thing else that i can find since its apart.$$$$
I have read the manual and watched several vids . now what i need to know is, in the book it says to loosen tranny to motor bolts. why on earth would you do that if primary, tranny and motor are all lined up allready?the book says its crucial. is it? this all started with the idea of an auto adjuster. Man ive got to stop thinking and just ride like my bud keeps telling me. lol

Yeah. Should do that to make sure everything is aligned and not putting any flex on the inner primary.

You may also wish to consider a torque arm like that from Carlini. See here:

Carlini Design | Products | Torque Arm

There may be others that make a similar piece, but this is what I went with on my '91 Dyna after the inner primary developed a hairline crack I had to have fixed. The torque arm is the fourth side of the engine, primary, tranny "box", and helps to keep the load off the inner primary!!

TQ

Yeah. Should do that to make sure everything is aligned and not putting any flex on the inner primary.

You may also wish to consider a torque arm like that from Carlini. See here:

Carlini Design | Products | Torque Arm

There may be others that make a similar piece, but this is what I went with on my '91 Dyna after the inner primary developed a hairline crack I had to have fixed. The torque arm is the fourth side of the engine, primary, tranny "box", and helps to keep the load off the inner primary!!

TQ
If you wouid like a new one?

I have the one that fits a 97 FXDS. Should be the one you need. NEW and IN Box. I only opened box to look and drool on the shinny well made part.

I bought it for my 97 dyna then sold bike right at the time it was in the mail.

PM me IF you are interested 200$ and you pay freight.....:yes

14185d1364403494-inner_primary-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364403493.671809.jpg

Fits 91 thru 97 Dyna

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a Carlini Torque arm on my '92 Dyna since I upped the hp. (about 18 yrs.). I have done a lot of hard shifts with no problems to the inner primary.

thanks for info and the offer. something to consider. now i just have to shovel my way through that white stuff to get it out off the shed and bring it up to garage to work on it.
ya i know i'm not sapose to sware, I said white stuff not snow, oops. lol

If you wouid like a new one?

I have the one that fits a 97 FXDS. Should be the one you need. NEW and IN Box. I only opened box to look and drool on the shinny well made part.

I bought it for my 97 dyna then sold bike right at the time it was in the mail.

PM me IF you are interested 200$ and you pay freight.....:yes

14185d1364403494-inner_primary-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364403493.671809.jpg

Fits 91 thru 97 Dyna

signed....BUBBIE

Figures, I have a 98.

Figures, I have a 98.

I would not Doubt that it will fit. Like Jack says..

Remember, I ordered this for MY 97 FXDS EVO...
so 98's were not out yet.

Check and see though... It will sell as that is a Sweet price.. No Charge for Long storage either....:yes

I think they were all the same until the twin cam came out 99 year. I did buy a 2000 FXDS just for the newer model...

signed....BUBBIE

Back