free website stats program Inner Primary mounting bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner Primary mounting bolts

Mongo1958

The dealr stated that the inner primary cover mounting bolts should be replaced if I take the inner cover off.
Is that true?

Seems like waisted $$$ to replace the inner primary mounting cover bolts.
Would anyone care to tell me why?

Thanks
WAP.gif

I re used the inner primary bolts on my 94 dyna but replaced the tab washers I coated the underside of the bolt head and the tab washer with hylomar to get the bolts to the gearbox to seal otherwise oil can escape

Brian

Maybe because the original bolts have/had the dab of yellow locktite on them?
I think some blue locktite would keep them tight again.

I just looked in my S.M., they are called "seal bolts" and have orings under the washer head to seal oil inside the primary. You will take a chance of an old oring not sealing properly.

if the bolts have s dimple in the head( smooth concaved area in the bolt head thats the sign of a shear bolt. i havent had mine off so i don't know,

Are you referring to the bolts that hold the outer primary cover to the inner primary cover, or the bolts that hold the inner primary to the transmission?

I think he is thinking, if not ignore this, stretch bolts, they are basically torqued to the max & the bolt actually stretch's. A torque of 20" lbs then 90*(just an example) would be how they would have you torque the bolt. So if you read in the manual that it needs to be torque to specific torque & then an additional degree of turn that would be a stretch bolt. Head bolts on a lot of the newer vehicles are this style. When I got my primary gasket at the dealer they told me I needed new bolts also (I got the belt for a 2007), then I told him I had a 1999 Ultra he said never mind. So it is something they have done at least from 07. If they have o rings, that would make sense also.

Toby

What is "shear" bolt?

A sheer bolt or pin is lesser grade meant to sheer off preventing greater damage to larger components you will find them used alot on snow blowers and lawn equipment

Back