free website stats program In tank fuel line | Harley Davidson Forums

In tank fuel line

GSM2

what is the best type of tubing to get when replacing the fuel line inside the tank? i want this to be a one time deal.

thanks

re: In tank fuel line

There has been a post about this before,I don't remember the specifics, but
it's supposed to be rated for high pressure and submersible. Not all lines last submerged in gas. It is available at auto parts stores. I will search for the post.

re: In tank fuel line

I haven't found the post. The service manual says "Do not replace tube inside the tank with ordinary bulk hose. All internal lines must be replaced with the special original equipment convoluted nylon tubes. Bulk hose will degrade etc,etc". Harleys aren't the only vehicles with fuel lines in the tank, so I still think auto parts stores will have the proper lines. At a reasonable price.

If you are going to use an aftermarket fuel line it needs to be one that is rated for inside the tank. It is SAE J30R10 5/16 fuel injection line. DO NOT USE fuel injection line that is not rated SAE J30R10 . It will not hold up. Don't ask me how I know.:( Many auto parts stores will carry this. I know that NAPA does.The 5/16 ID J30R10 hose is about $20.00 per foot. If you can't find it locally you can order it from here.
Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more

They also carry the flex line if you want to go that route. If you decide to go the flex line slice the old one ope and wrap it around the new one to act as a protective shield.The 8-inch flex hose is $3.00. The 15-inch flex hose is $5.00. At this price you can buy 2 of each to have an extra for a buddy.:s

Also if you decide to use the flex hose it can be tricky to get on the fittings. I heated them up slightly with a heat gun (careful not to melt the line) to make it easier to get on.

HTH,
Randall

The convoluted line is not "terrible" but a wee bit thin and light duty for the application, however it is quite flexible and can be bent in a tight radius. Some have split the old hose and used it to protect the replacement hose from abrasion. Check if your application can accomodate the stiffer aftermarket hose before you buy.:D

Back