free website stats program I'm too short!! | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm too short!!

So I just bought my new bike last week. The dealership couldn't find the exact bike I wanted (XL883 Iron) so I bought a Custom instead. The only problem is the forward controls and the seat height. The dealership swapped out the forward controls with the mid- controls for me and swapped out the stock shocks with the shocks from the XL883 Low. So everything is almost great.. I still have a problem putting down the kick stand. You would laugh if you saw how I put it down.

My question: Since the rear end was lowered the bike looks like the front end is raised. Will I run into any problems if I lower the front by sliding the front forks up into the trees? If I could just get an extra inch or two, I think it would be almost perfect...
If I am able to do that.. will I need to purchase a different kickstand like the one from Licks? (I would post the link but I need more posts to do so..) Will I find any performance issues because the Trail/rake will be changed by doing so?

Thanks everyone.

i always thought that the 883C had the low shocks as standard hence the stance.
if not you can add the lowering kit to the front as well so you will have the suspension of the low front and rear.
You can lower the forks but you will need to ensure that they are level otherwise the geometry will be out, the side satnd should be fine it will just stand a little more upright

LAST RESORT

IS ADD 5/8--3/4 inch RUBBER TO THE BOTTOMS OF A SPECIAL PAIR OF RIDING BOOTS..
Make sure the rubber is of the soft kind or it will slip on asphalt and you don't want that...

Good for riding but take some getting used to for walking distances...

signed....BUBBIE

I'd go w/Hobbit's recommendation & lower your front, but another "alternate" option would be to go w/new seat that has lowered pan/foam...

I would put a lowering kit in the forks too, that should give a proper look to the bike, but if it is still high, you could either get the seat redone or buy a reach type seat. It is all do-able. How are the bars? You can get them swapped out too. One way or another you will be able to modify your new bike to fit you just right and then the real fun starts. :)

BTW, find out from your dealer if there is a part number for the jiffy stand also, though lowering the bike makes it stand more upright making it easier to get off the stand. Only problem is you have to lean it farther to the right to "unlock" sort of a double edged sword.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I wasn't able to attempt to mess with the front forks because I #1-didn't have the right size Torx, #2- Kept on getting side tracked... I did however, soften up the rear shocks a little (even though the dealership advised against it). I lifted the seat/pcm off and even though the shorter shocks are on there. I figured there is about 3 inches of clearance in the fender space. I don't think the shock compresses 3 inches. I know the tire will expand when it's spinning but I'm sure I'll be alright. So now I am able to get the "pad" of my foot closer to the ground. I feel more comfortable, which is what I was looking for. The guy across the street from me is going to lend me his bike lift tomorrow, so I'll tackle the front forks then..

i think you can get lowering blocks for the front off of ebay. we got them for the back end of my bike when i had the 883L but also put them on the 1200L . did also lower the front end on the top side for a little bit but raised them back to stock due to bottoming out when went over the railroad tracks and such even though i slowed up to go over them. try a reach solo seat. lowers you 1/2 in and brings you forward 1/2 in. you might be ok with the lowering blocks on the back even though it already has the low set up should be fine. also depends on weight of baggage and rider. hopefully you will find the right set up. the custum and the 1200L are a taller seat height than the 883 L. which didn't help me any when i went to the 1200L. i'm 5'2" short legs and short arms. but my ride fits me good now. good luck.

LAST RESORT

IS ADD 5/8--3/4 inch RUBBER TO THE BOTTOMS OF A SPECIAL PAIR OF RIDING BOOTS..
Make sure the rubber is of the soft kind or it will slip on asphalt and you don't want that...

Good for riding but take some getting used to for walking distances...

signed....BUBBIE

I WAS VERY SERIOUS ABOUT MY ABOVE STATEMENT.......
A lot of $$$$$$ spent on LOWERING BIKES BEYOND A SAFE LIMIT.....

I have a friend WHO did the above method of RAISING his FOOT LEVEL by 3/4 of an INCH, using a x-tra sole ....HE SAID "made the world of difference and I felt a little TALLER" besides mentioning "it didn't take any time to get used to but when I took off my boots and dawned my running shoes, I ALSO felt FASTER" ....

seriously

signed....BUBBIE

You can get alot closer to the ground by taking some foam out of your seat. The stock seat consists of a plastic pan covered by rigid foam and a vinyl cover. I started using serrated kitchen knives but a hand grinder works really well. Wear a mask and goggles as it throws up alot of foam dust. Take a little off and then sit on it and see how low you want to go. If you go too far you can pick up some foam at a fabric store. I'm sitting several inches lower and I have a nice back rest now. I've taken a week long trip riding all day and it felt fine. If you trash the stock seat and you were going to switch it out anyway what do you have to lose ?

Back