free website stats program Idle too slow and smell of gas | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle too slow and smell of gas

buck484

Contributor
Hi all, My 2004 Fatboy fuel injected,TFI, with 2 into 1 Kerker exhaust and screamin eagle a/c. Seems to be running a bit too rich. The bike actually runs real good except I think it is idyling slower than it used to. About 900 now and abot 1100 before. I pulled the plugs and they were a deep black, not wet but very dark. I also get a whiff of fuel odor when I come to a stop. Was wondering if I need to set TFI differently. Thanks for the help, Buck

No setting for speed but mixture will effect the speed if setting is too rich which in turn will effect speed too.

I agree, was wondering if certain pot controls idle speed.

Buck; Pot 1-green led is idle mix. Get engine to 1,800/2,000 rpm (very high idle if you don't have a tach). Turn the pot either left or right until highest rpm is achieved (this is from memory). There is TFI tuning procedure in search/tips, might want to check my figures.

Buck my 09 new idled at 1k when i got to 5k it had dropped to 950 rpms now at 10k its between 900-950 s/e ex. mo-flo a/c w/ a/c i smell a little gas too. i also have a tfi green set at 3.. 3 1/2 idle drops same at 2 1/2,, it likes 3. find that sweet spot on yours..w/ an open a/c maybe its easer to smell gas..

Thanks for the swift replys. The bike runs so good at all times except idle, I hated to change anything. I'll try that first pot and see if that does the job. Thanks again.

Thanks for the swift replys. The bike runs so good at all times except idle, I hated to change anything. I'll try that first pot and see if that does the job. Thanks again.

Buck.

Please Mention (list) the settings YOU use on the TFI... A lot can be determined by WHAT positions they are set at.....

The Green #1 is usually doing good IF set to start with AT The Recommended Setting on Instruction sheet for Your bike model..

Many try to Over Set on #1 pot,,, THINKING MORE is Better when It is NOT...

I did this MY WAY then THEIR WAY and their way was the RIGHT WAY..

But if you OVER SET pot one it Will run Too RICH,,,, The Plugs Should Not be sooty BLACK,,, This tells pot one is PROBABLY way too rich (big number)...

Each bike is an Individual and may be set a little different than called for by dobecks,,, because of the way Yours is built and the stage parts added....

So when you try to "re-set" Please include the numbers..

Thanks....

signed....BUBBIE:D

Back