free website stats program Icelandic Volcano | Harley Davidson Forums

Icelandic Volcano

cedarbrook63

Well I don't know how much disruption you boys and girls West of the Pond have been suffering from Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano belching out a lot of ash and debris but there's been chaos on this side of the water.

I was due to fly Birmingham UK to Dublin tonight but all flights were cancelled, I couldn't get to the ferry by train or coach and I HAD to be there tomorrow so I jumped on the trusty Sporty and ate up about 260 miles all in in about 3hrs 20 mins.

It was colder than I expected and I had to change to my winter gloves part way when my hands got too numb to feel the indicator switches. I'm getting great use of my saddle bags these days so I was prepared (even if Hobbit thinks it's an offense putting them on a Sporty - not to mention my crash/highway bars and detachable windscreen. It's a wonder he's prepared to be seen with me :lolrolling).

The conversion to 1200 and Mobil 1 20/50 gave me an engine that ate the miles - she was happy cruising at 85-90mph nearly all the way, with really good torquey accel whenever I wanted it and just over 115mph on one beautiful road in North Wales (hope there weren't any speed cameras in action :( ). Not bad for what some would call a glorified tractor engine eh! And I got over 10miles/litre as well even at that speed. I am well pleased with the other woman (as my wife affectionately calls my Sporty)

The scenery in Wales is stunning, riding along between majestic Snowdonia National Park on the left and the beautiful coast on the right. I wish I'd had more time to take pictures but this was a race for the ferry as it was an unscheduled trip. I hope to ride her home again on Tuesday and will hopefully have some time to get some pics to post of a beautiful part of Britain.

The Sportster may not be a touring bike but apart from a bit of shoulder stiffness (and I'd spent the entire day in "office desk position" before literally immediately jumping on the bike which wouldn't have helped) the ride was comfortable. I guess it would be armchair like comfortable on one of the big twins but then I don't know if they could chew up the bends and the twists like my Sportster can. It's been a good dry run for my road trip to Bruges in Belgium at the end of May - I'l definitely take lots of photographs on that one :D.

Cedarbrook, glad you got a chance to open up your newly minted 1200 for a satisfying ride. And like you, though it may be a bit out of place to have nice bags on a Sporty, I have to agree...making a Sportster into a "modest" bagger is not a bad thing, and ridden solo with only casual two up trips, provides the best of both worlds.

I fitted all my ol' sportbikes as sporttourers because I choose not to run greater than 8/10's most of the time and on a Harley...learned quickly to appreciate the "easy" high torque relaxed riding style it provides. And in the twisties the instant gratification of a sportbike is there, but when the ride is over...the nuances, sensations and memorable moment of the trip are easily remembered, when you are not constantly stirring the gearbox, and modulating the throttle to stay in the power band, JMHO...

By the way, be careful about cleaning volcanic ash off your bike, it is abrasive as sandpaper...and it is also acidic if wet and tough to clean like brake dust, so you got to clean it off your bike quick, especially in wet areas like "merry ol..."!

Cedarbrook, glad you got a chance to open up your newly minted 1200 for a satisfying ride. And like you, though it may be a bit out of place to have nice bags on a Sporty, I have to agree...making a Sportster into a "modest" bagger is not a bad thing, and ridden solo with only casual two up trips, provides the best of both worlds.

I fitted all my ol' sportbikes as sporttourers because I choose not to run greater than 8/10's most of the time and on a Harley...learned quickly to appreciate the "easy" high torque relaxed riding style it provides. And in the twisties the instant gratification of a sportbike is there, but when the ride is over...the nuances, sensations and memorable moment of the trip are easily remembered, when you are not constantly stirring the gearbox, and modulating the throttle to stay in the power band, JMHO...

By the way, be careful about cleaning volcanic ash off your bike, it is abrasive as sandpaper...and it is also acidic if wet and tough to clean like brake dust, so you got to clean it off your bike quick, especially in wet areas like "merry ol..."!

Thanks for the Ash tip NHD! The bike won't be left exposed to the stuff but I'll make sure I rinse it off after I use it in case....
I think you summed up what's so good about Harleys perfectly:D:worthy

Hey good for you enjoying the blast up to the ferry, baggers can dance you'll see when we go Matlock :D that's if sonia comes it not it will be a riot 2 12's on open pipes roaring along the country lanes
WAP.gif

Sweet music Hobbit:D:D

BTW what pipes have you got on your Sporster?

The sportster is a good bike and well able to hustle along on many different types of road adding the bags just makes them more useable
as i have bags on all my bikes i always have 3 pairs of gloves with me just in case i got it wrong or the weather changes

sounds like a great run that you may remember for years

Brian

I'm getting great use of my saddle bags these days so I was prepared (even if Hobbit thinks it's an offense putting them on a Sporty - not to mention my crash/highway bars and detachable windscreen. It's a wonder he's prepared to be seen with me :lolrolling).

Uht-oh! I've got an 883XL with saddle bags, a highway bar, and a detachable windscreen... did I miss the memo that these things are "bad"? :bigsmiley24:

Cool story, thanks for sharing. Glad you had a safe trip!

Uht-oh! I've got an 883XL with saddle bags, a highway bar, and a detachable windscreen... did I miss the memo that these things are "bad"? :bigsmiley24:

Cool story, thanks for sharing. Glad you had a safe trip!

Big welcome to the Forum AJPanda - I hope you really enjoy your time here and learn a whole lot. I certainly have and find it's great to continue enjoying the motorbike experience even when your true love is in the garage pinging and clinking sweetly as the engine cools down :D.

I was just kidding about Hobbit - he's a great guy and a good friend but he's more of a purist than me when it comes to how he likes his Sporties.

But then that's one of the great things about Harleys - you really make it your own.

Ride safe.

Back