free website stats program I sat on an R1 the other day. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I sat on an R1 the other day.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a friend that had a ZX14 Kaw.and he told me to ride it. He said to stay in 2nd gear and when I would hit 90 I'd really be able to feel the torque kick in. Well I have to be honest, I'd tried it not once be 3 times in a row and every time I hit 90 I let off. I chickened out, all I could think of was what if someone was sitting at a corner and pulled out in front of me besides like you said they way you sit on those dumb things all you're doing is hanging on it just doesn't feel like you are in cotrol. Too fast for me I'll take mt Harley any day of the week over a sport bike.

I have had in the past had bikes that at first seemed a wee bit uncomfortable due to the sitting position with body weight on the shoulders and wrists and perhaps a wee bit cramped
On my old bike it started to get comfortable at around 90 mph as enough wind came over the screen to start supporting body weight and anywhere between 90 and 125 was comfortable once the bike got to 130 a wee twist of the wrists would see the elbows on to the knees and i would be fully in the air bubble behind the fairing
I did 500+ miles in one day on that bike taking it easy at around 90 mph with a quick stop and leg stretch at 50 mile intervals
I was younger and it was right for me then now a wee bit more mature and perhaps not so able to think quick enough to set the bike up for the next bend in the road at 90+ my Harley's are right for me now

Brian

Perfect timing for this thread.I just got home from taking a ride on my son's YZR. He needed to borrow my pickup so we swapped vehicles at work.
I forgot how much fun a good handling sportbike can be. The powerband doesn't really come in until about 7500 rpm but then it is a total blast. I came home on the backroads and played a bit until I got used to it, then I had some fun. These are roads where I can only take my bike at 70 mph max and that is with scraping the floorboards and everything else. On his bike I was running 120-140 mph with lots left to go before I hit the chicken strips.Makes me wish I hadn't sold my Katana.

I still have my sport bikes. And I still ride 'em on a regular basis. Kinda hard to be a "Hooligan" on a Road King. But then again my track day Ducati 996 keeps me from being a hooligan on the street.

Both have their place. It's just more fun to run a sport bike on the track. But I have run all my Harley's at a track day. How else will you know the limits of what you're riding.

I have had in the past had bikes that at first seemed a wee bit uncomfortable due to the sitting position with body weight on the shoulders and wrists and perhaps a wee bit cramped
On my old bike it started to get comfortable at around 90 mph as enough wind came over the screen to start supporting body weight and anywhere between 90 and 125 was comfortable once the bike got to 130 a wee twist of the wrists would see the elbows on to the knees and i would be fully in the air bubble behind the fairing
I did 500+ miles in one day on that bike taking it easy at around 90 mph with a quick stop and leg stretch at 50 mile intervals
I was younger and it was right for me then now a wee bit more mature and perhaps not so able to think quick enough to set the bike up for the next bend in the road at 90+ my Harley's are right for me now

Brian

"Taking it easy at around 90 mph" basically says it all ! Anyone who isn't at least a little unnerved when twisting the throttle to the stop on a modern sportbike must have a higher tolerance for adrenaline than I do. I love a good thrill ride but bad things can happen way too fast on the street. Clutchless power wheelies at over 100 mph anyone? About any of the 1000cc + sportbikes will feed your need if you turn off the wheelie and traction control!

"Taking it easy at around 90 mph" basically says it all ! Anyone who isn't at least a little unnerved when twisting the throttle to the stop on a modern sportbike must have a higher tolerance for adrenaline than I do. I love a good thrill ride but bad things can happen way too fast on the street. Clutchless power wheelies at over 100 mph anyone? About any of the 1000cc + sportbikes will feed your need if you turn off the wheelie and traction control!

When i was a kid, I had a KZ900 that I could balance wheelie all the way down the street. I remember it had a Kerker pipe on it. Oh yeah.

Take care<
Dave

Reading all this reminds me of my track days I had to stop riding sport bikes in the street too many irresponsible drivers and speed limits you know you can't cruise at 55 on the highway. I know I couldn't

I've only been on a track day once in my life back in the late '80s on a buddies GSXR750. Got to take turns on that.
Pretty awesome.

Dave

Back