free website stats program I have NO idea whats wrong | Harley Davidson Forums

I have NO idea whats wrong

zachinky

I bought a new battery for my '03 883. I cleared ALL the codes (but still have a ??? about this). It started up yesterday evening. This morning however, is a different story. It started, went to get fuel, it wouldn't start back. Husband came & got me, loaded the bike up in the truck. Got home, it starts. I've noticed the pattern of it turning itself off when it gets hot, & not starting till it cools off. Everything else seems to be fine.
Now the codes. 1-7 cleared. 8 said SEE but cleared, 9 &10 clear, then it says PPU and 78637. What is this and why is it running till hot, shutting off, then starting when cooled?

THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!!!! I NEED IT!!!

I replaced the o-rings myself. I've done all the work myself. I just can't figure this one out.

Electrical problems are the most frustrating of all. Especially intermittent ones like yours. There are some real electrical geniuses on here who will come to your rescue shortly. I'm certainly not one of them.

The pattern you stated does imply to me it might be some kind of fuse problem perhaps. Fuse gets hot enough it opens and doesn't let any current through to the starter. Cools off and everything's normal.

Of course, I'm assuming the bike's not even turning over. Do the lights come on? Horn works? Turning over but just no spark/light off?

Welcome to the forum Zachinky, if the bike dies when it gets hot and then starts after cooling, that sounds like the Ignition module, one way to be sure is get a can of spray from a electrical store that cools stuff when you spray it on, and take the cover off so you can see the module, then run the bike till it gets hot & dies then give the module a spray and if it starts back up there's your problem, just replace the module. Would also check your spark plugs to see how the jetting is, some times running the enrichener too long can carbon up the plugs making it harder to start, but from what you discribe it sounds like Ignition module. Good luck

Chopper has a good point, but try using a heat gun (not too much) or hair dryer to warm area, to initiate the intermittant failure, then use cold spray in the area you suspect. Your HD does not like long time running in a garage with no airflow and carbon monoxide and fumes can accumulate even with an open garage door.

Yea, it would probably not get hot enough sitting there idling and would not be good for the motor, I ment, drive it around the block a few times with a coolant spray with you, but NEWHD74FAN had a good point of trying a heat gun, that should work, also you'll probably see bubbles on the module when you take the cover off, and make sure to use only Harley rivets when you go back together, they are different from the common rivets buy from the local hardware store.

hey im no expert but I would check the crank position censor. it sends a signal to the ecm to let it know when to shoot spark to the plugs. you can check it with a multi meeter. if you have a fsm it should tell you the resistance you should read through the meeter. then when heated up the numbers will jump all over the place. if they stay steady and not move. then this is not your problem. Kinda a hard component to diagnose cause you will still get a spark and fuel but spark will be erratic and not at the correct time

Back