I got a new seat !

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Taildraggerdave, May 8, 2013.

1. Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave Active Member

Hello again,

The big brown truck dropped off my new (to me) seat today.
    I have a little over 25K on my Ultra and it never crossed my mind that maybe I should get a lower seat so I can flat foot with both feet at a stop light or ...

Seat is a takeoff from a 2013 Street Glide. Got it on line for a really good price. Was going to have MCC rework my 09 seat pan but from what I've read they don't work on that pan as it's just too big.

So I killed two birds with a whole lot less money.

100% flat footed now. I'll take it out for a good run in the next few days and see how it feels. Pretty stoked.

Dave

Attached Files:

2. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

I think you probably just spent the most important money on your ride!
    Getting your feet planted good at stops or stop and go traffic makes a huge difference. My second used RK came with the 1" lower shocks and I couldn't believe what a difference that made. Then I put on the corbin seat which lowered me a little more. I'm 5' 8.5" with a 30" inseam, now I'm totally comfortable at stops and this bike fits me like a old pair of boots! If I ever needed to get a different bike, this would be the first $ spent.

Enjoy:guitar

PS the lower kit was only the rear, the front forks were not.

3. Taildraggerdave

Thanks for the reply.
    I did a couple hundred miles today, much of which was in gnarly LA traffic. Splitting lanes for miles at a time. There were a few times where I had to come to a complete stop and push my bike between a couple cars that would not move.... I was in a pack and had to keep the flow going.

Yeah, love the seat. Can't believe I waited this long.....

Take care,
    Dave

4. mleblanc

mleblanc Member

Congrats on the seat Dave, thats awesome!! I just aquired a seat off a fatboy for my softail standard, what a huge difference comfort wise!! But I am now not sitting flat footed and I wonder if lowering the bike would be the answer? Does lowering the bike make it any different handling wise? Did you notice any difference with yours lowered stray dog? Will I still be able to take the corners like always?

Mike

5. Taildraggerdave

My Fatboy is lowered and no, you cannot lean as far with a lowered bike. The pipes or floorboards will drag. Of course, these aren't road race bikes so you will probably be fine.

I've had a few occasions where I've come in too hot on the Fatboy and have drug a floorboard thru the entire corner and wound up on the outside edge of the road.....It'll make you say "huh".

Take care,
    Dave

6. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Dave has you covered here and yah I grooved a few corners with the floor boards too. Haven't for a long time time tho. Maybe with I'm leaning a little more and keeping the bike upright a little more OR I'm just slower:newsmile090:
    That said, I wouldn't change it.

7. mleblanc

mleblanc Member

Haha.. well I dont appear to be slowing down any! Maybe I will just get some taller boots hehe. :newsmile108: