I built mine!

Discussion in 'Custom Models' started by zoo-mon, May 6, 2009.

1. zoo-mon

zoo-mon Member

I decide to go with no speedo or tach. Although i wanted to keep track of the mileage some how. So I put an hour meter on it. I use 50 miles an hour to calculate the milage. Right now I have 23 hours of run time. I think that is 1150 miles. This is just approximate for maintenance reasons. Oil changes, etc. Has anyone heard of this done before? Or do you think I have the only one? Let me know what you think. Roy"zoo-mon"Gregory:ap

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  2. ProF

ProF Junior Member

I think that if you get stopped for speeding or whatever, you're going to get cited for no speedometer. :(

3. zoo-mon

zoo-mon Member

Yes I may get cited for no speedo. That is when i will be forced to put one on. My bike does not meet federal saftey guide lines be cause of that. but It looks nice without it. 50 is just a number i use to guesstamate my mileage. It is actually less than what it adds up to. They allways ask us. do you know how fast you were going. I can honestlly say no I do not.

4. zoo-mon

zoo-mon Member

A friend of mine told me about those. Have not yet checked them out. I think i will look into them and maybe report back on how they work. thanks

5. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

A GPS unit could work....I don't know if it would be 'spec' but it could track speed & mileage.

6. T wrecks

T wrecks Junior Member

Great idea Hobbit. I just bought one from Wiggle in the UK, for my mountain bike. Thay are the size of a wristwatch these days, tiny, and so many functions!! :)
    Love your ride by the way Roy!!!! Nice and clean!!:s

7. gmurdock

gmurdock Active Member

I like the idea of the bike speedo. Small enough where you realy do not notice it.

8. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

zoo-mon; Google "hour meter oil change interval" or "hour meter miles conv."
    It brings up a lot of info. SOME of it may be useful to you.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Smitty is correct some diesel trucks use hour meters also for service intervals I think the cops will have the final say on this if and when u get a ticket its a cool idea tho

10. CatWoman

CatWoman Active Member

Just an FYI - The Ridley (actually they say they are truly the only completely American Made Motorcycle), uses a Bicycle Speedo for the odometer and speedometer. It is housed under a little metal box and runs to the rear wheel. They are also automatic -- maybe a good idea for some but I prefer shifting :s

Some of the models apparently will keep the info even if the battery goes bad.

CatWoman :rider