free website stats program Hyperflash on panel, not on blinkers | Harley Davidson Forums

Hyperflash on panel, not on blinkers

Danielg

Well, I just put LED rear marker/brake/turn lights on my 2012 fatboy and put an LED brake light on, taking off an integrated turn signal/brake light LED light set.

Now when I put on either blinker the indicator on the gas tank panel flashes probably twice a second or so even though the external turn signals are both going about 1 flash per second, standard sedate speed.

I'm looking for a flasher relay that plugs into where the OEM flasher but don't know if what I have is what is available or if they changed the flasher module or what.

Boiled down, why is the indicator about twice as fast on the gas tank panel than is showing on front or rear turn signals and how can I fix it easiest.

Thanks
DanH

If you installed LED you will need to install an in line load equlizer. LED lights take less amperage and voltage so they will flash faster the load equlizer will reduce the voltage thru a reistor to slow down the flash.

If your bike had LED lights from the factory I am guessing HD has something built into the circuitry to act as a load equalizer Just taking a stab in the dark here. You will probably need to wire in a load EQ now JMO

Apparently the LED blinkers I took off had the load balancer in them. Got a load balancer, custom dynamics, from the dealer, took about 3 minutes to install and set the signals and now no hyperflash.

Thanks!

Daniel; Welcome to the forum and thanks for the feedback. Your problem/solution is a new one for me. I knew about fast blinkers needing a ballast, but never heard of the blinkers flashing properly but the dash rapidly flashing, and a ballast correcting it. That is my "learned something today" item.

Good fix, maybe this fix should be added to the self help section. Most likely this question/issue will resurface again.

Moderator Note: I moved the entire thread into the Self Help section to help folks in the future find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another follow up note. This same thing was mentioned in another HD forum board. I thought it was my thread there but it turned out it was another poster with the same issue.

I posted my fix and just as a side note, that was one of the easiest fixes I've ever done on anything. Seat off, unplug, plug both sides of ballast in, tuck ballast, put seat back on, ignition on (engine off), right two blinks, left two blinks, right 10 blinks. It's done.

DanH

Back