free website stats program Hyd. lifter adjustment? | Harley Davidson Forums

Hyd. lifter adjustment?

Milan

Account Removed
Just replaced my cam and lfters on my EVO. Whats the best way to adjust the pushrods on hydraulic lifters?
Thanks Milan

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Most standard type lifters are supposed be adjusted so that the plunger is depressed .100" with the lifter sitting on the heel of the cam. Different push rods have different threads per inch which will call for a different number of flats on the adjustment nut to get the proper adjustment for that rod. Important thing to remember is to let each lifter bleed down for a time before rotating the engine to the next one to be adjusted or valve damage will occur from striking the piston. The instructions for your push rods should cover the adjustment procedure.

Pushrodadjustment1.jpg

SE Pushrods come in 24 or 32 TPI also.

PushrodsF.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply but, i didnt get any instructions with the new tappets. They are HD part # 18538-99B. I'm re-using the old push rods which are S&S. I have read where you would adjust the push rod to where you can barely spin it at the lowest point at the cam. Is that right?
Thanks Milan

Check out the S&S site. They list the instructions for adjustment of their parts.

There is generally a pre load after zero lash that would amount to half the lifter travel which is measured in "flats" on the adjuster nut.

Back