free website stats program Howling wheels? | Harley Davidson Forums

Howling wheels?

I have a 2010 fxstc with 15,000 miles on it, it has started to have a slight howl come from the rear wheel when turning at slow speeds. Less than 10mph. Can't tell if it does it at higher speed,to much noise.I thought rear bearing. Took it to dealer for 15k service and the mech. said it was due to loose spokes on rear rear rim. Does this sound right? Only rode it home from dealer,5 miles. Thought I heard it again, not sure. Will ride more today to see if it is fixed. Heard of squeaky wheel getting grease, but never of howling spokes???

I would be more concerned of over tightened belt... Has it been doing after a rear tire replacement??? The noise usally only happens when belt is hot, so if dealer even road tested after service they probably maybe went a mile which would not be far enough to hear your complaint.. Spokes???? NOT!!!

+1 on checking the belt deflection!! Will usually "whine" when too tight. Generally you can turn the belt 3/4 by hand (when cold) and it's approximately 10 lbs pressure (per the Harley tool)

Back