free website stats program Howling Noise from rear of HSTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Howling Noise from rear of HSTC

bbwilli

Today after a few hours of riding two up I noticed a persistent howling noise from the rear of the bike. It sounds like wooooh woooooh wooooh when we are slowing down. The noise occures while slowing down only (braking and not braking), not accelerating. I dont hear it at high speeds but could just be the wind covering it up. I have heard this noise before while riding two up; just about since the day I bought the bike ('11 HSTC) the bike only has 7K miles at this point. Would appreciate any advise.

Today after a few hours of riding two up I noticed a persistent howling noise from the rear of the bike. It sounds like wooooh woooooh wooooh when we are slowing down. The noise occures while slowing down only (braking and not braking), not accelerating. I dont hear it at high speeds but could just be the wind covering it up. I have heard this noise before while riding two up; just about since the day I bought the bike ('11 HSTC) the bike only has 7K miles at this point. Would appreciate any advise.

My 09 came off the show room floor and I had to Loosen it before I took it home...

Check the belt tension.. TOO TIGHT will usually make that kind of noise... Remember that when you and your rider are on, the Belt does tighten under the weight.

I like My bike a wee-bit LOOSER than the Tight than HD calls for. Just a little..

signed....BUBBIE

I have heard the howling to, not all the time. Turns out its the rear tire tread. On a tar/rock road where the tar completely covers the rocks its the loudest. I've clutch/killed engine to listen with out the pipe noise. Its the tire. Different road surface, different noise. Checked air PSI, was ok.

Thanks, I will check out the tire and belt ideas today and let you know what I find. Both sound way better then what I feared might be a bad bearing.

Had the same thing happening on my '07 Wideglide couple weeks ago. I also feared the worst. Turned out a little belt dressing did the trick!

Back