free website stats program how wide can you go ? | Harley Davidson Forums

how wide can you go ?

john@ GR

A buddys got a 96 heritage, it came with a 130 rear tire, he was told he could go to a 140 so he did and now it's rubbing on the belt when he rolls it back.I checked the wheel for true and straight and it is.The belt walks over as soon as he rolls it back and its freyed the edge of the belt and worn off a strip of rubber on the side of the tire.The belt walks to the outside of the pulley when he's riding and is clear of the tire,so all the scuffing has happened when he backs into the curb to park,any ideas on what gives ?

I did the same with a 2000 RK and had the same problem. So I realigned the tire and all is good. So, with that in mind, realign again. I think you'll find it work once all straight.
Ugly John

O' by the way, welcome to the forum from Southern Oregon.
Ugly John

OK ,another day another realignment, still rubbing when he rolls back . I thought about misaligning the wheel but then it'd rub going ahead ,I suggested if he wanted a wider tire then he should buy a new bike, he didn't even crack a smile. The snow will be off the roads in about two weeks , and he's starting to panic . thanks in advance for any info, and thanks for the welcome from southern Oregon

My Softail came with a 140mmX16 stock . I just put a 160X17 on it . And it all fit with no trouble or rubbing .

Best way is to measure, but typically you can go up one size usually will not cause a problem, especially if the aspect ratio also changes slightly to return the ride height (diameter) to be essentially a wash, i.e. 130/90-16 can usually be swapped with a 140/85-16, though the 140/90-16 will be the more commonly found size. Dunlop and other manufacturers actually give you the overall dimensions (diameter and width) so you can compare (measure) what the difference will be.

I just fitted 2000 model Fatboy wheels to my 96 Heritage softail.150/80 rear and 130/90 front.I made new spacers and spaced out the sprocket 5mm.Aligned the rear wheel using Glider's tool spec's.
The tyre misses the belt by 4mm and the belt guard by 1mm. and yes the belt rubs when pushed backwards.But there's no problem when going forward.
I hope this help's. :)

Back