free website stats program How to tell if mods have been done? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to tell if mods have been done?

oseita

I bought my 04 sporty used. I assumed that it was stock but while cruising this past weekend I stopped at a Harley dealership to look around and one of the mechs asked me after looking my ride over when I intended to finish the conversion. I had assumed that it was totally a xl 883 but he said that it looked like someone had started to convert it . He said that the main reason he asked this was because of the sprocket on the rear was not the correct one that should be on this bike if it was a 883. How do I find out this info? I went to the dealer where I bought the bike but they couldn't offer any clues.

Get a report on the bike from the DMV and contact the former owner and ask them

Get a report on the bike from the DMV and contact the former owner and ask them

DMVs in the US don't give out personal information. Remember, we've got guns...:D

Assuming that the mechanic was referring to a 1200/1212/1250 conversion the only way to know for sure is to take off one of the heads and measure the bore.

DMVs in the US don't give out personal information. Remember, we've got guns...:D

Assuming that the mechanic was referring to a 1200/1212/1250 conversion the only way to know for sure is to take off one of the heads and measure the bore.

Here it is mandatory when selling a vehicle privately you provide the buyer with an info package,$20. at the DMV,lists every owner,dates they owned it and if it was ever in any major accidents.

I have tried to find out info on the previous owner but all that the dmv would tell me is that the original owner titled the bike in Fla. ( usa ) and he traded it to the dealer where I bought it. I know that something has been done because when I first purchased the bike the crank sensor was faulty and a stock sensor for a 883 would not work correctly. Since it was all covered under the warranty, I didn't pursue it at the time. I do know that the dealer had to special order the sensor from H-D at the time of repair. Since then there has not been any problems so does it matter?

The crank sensor should have nothing to do with anything being done to the bike or being used as an indication I should say.

Hobbit did the dude ever bring that tool to show you all?

if so what was the make and model of the tool?

Back