free website stats program How to remove clutch cable? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to remove clutch cable?

wa2go

Hi all - I'm new here, this is my first post.

I have a 1990 FXRS and I need to replace my clutch cable. (Burned the housing on the pipe, and the cable doesn't work right any more. Next one will be routed away from the pipe!)

I have removed the clutch lever from the bars and fully loosened the slack in the cable, so that it's just flopping around. I drained the fluid and removed the tranny side cover. I cannot figure out how to get the cable itself disconnected.
I unscrewed the cable housing end cap from the side cover housing, no problem. But still the cable end is very firmly stuck. (Sorry, I don't know the proper name of the part that it's connected to inside the housing.)

There is a large C-clamp that is holding everything together in there. Do I need to remove that first? (I cannot see the underside of the piece that the cable is connected to, so I can't see how it's connected.)

I didn't expect this would be so complicated. Can anyone tell me what I need to do please to get the cable disconnected? It's beautiful outside and I'm dying to get back on the road.

Thanks!

Hi all - I'm new here, this is my first post.

I have a 1990 FXRS and I need to replace my clutch cable. (Burned the housing on the pipe, and the cable doesn't work right any more. Next one will be routed away from the pipe!)

I have removed the clutch lever from the bars and fully loosened the slack in the cable, so that it's just flopping around. I drained the fluid and removed the tranny side cover. I cannot figure out how to get the cable itself disconnected.
I unscrewed the cable housing end cap from the side cover housing, no problem. But still the cable end is very firmly stuck. (Sorry, I don't know the proper name of the part that it's connected to inside the housing.)

There is a large C-clamp that is holding everything together in there. Do I need to remove that first? (I cannot see the underside of the piece that the cable is connected to, so I can't see how it's connected.)

I didn't expect this would be so complicated. Can anyone tell me what I need to do please to get the cable disconnected? It's beautiful outside and I'm dying to get back on the road.

Thanks!

Harley Davidson Community have a look here , do you have a Factory Manual?

You need to remove that "C" clip to remove the ramp so the cable can be disconnected, then unscrew it from the cover and make sure not to tighten the new one too much.

Pay attention to the position of the ramp and the clip before removing it.

Don't loose the balls either.

Thanks very much Jack. I did read the Clutch Cable Replacement thread before posting this. What threw me off was the statement: "You may be able to unhook it from the ball ramp...." but it never said HOW to unhook it from the ball ramp, and it didn't say "you MUST unhook it from the ball ramp in order to remove it. So based on glider's reply, it sounds like I DO have to remove the "C" clip to remove the ramp. I tried doing that, but had a real hard time doing it using needle nose pliers (the WRONG tool for the job.) I will head to the hardware store and pick up the RIGHT tool and then I should be all set.

No - I don't have a factory manual. After six years owning this awesome bike, this is the first time I've ever had to do anything to it other than change the oil! I agree that I should have one. I clicked the link you provided, but wasn't sure where to go from there. I tried searching on Harley FXRS but it didn't give me anything that looked like a manual. Will probably check eBay unless you have any other suggestions.

Back