free website stats program How to clean the SE Stage I Air Filter? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to clean the SE Stage I Air Filter?

doj1975

Can anyone tell me what the process for cleaning the SE Stage I filter element is? I've always had the K&N element on previous bikes.

If you have the filter element that came with the SE Air Cleaner clean it like you would a K&N using their cleaner, But DO NOT oil it.

I did a search and could only find info on KN filter. I didn't see anything about the SE filter that is not oiled. Thanks for the link.

I checked the link. It is for the filter that gets oiled. I have the SE filter that does not require oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the link. It is for the filter that gets oiled. I have the SE filter that does not require oil.

What I do is vacuum the element with a shop vac pulling the air back in the opposite direction that the engine does. I then saturate the fiber mesh with Simply Green. Let that sit for about 10 minutes and then do it again. After that sits for 10-20 minutes, I then submerge the entire element in soapy water (dish soap) and "swish" it around to get the dirt out of the element. Then I rinse it with the sink sprayer washing in the opposite direction to the air flow. Let it dry in the sun and slap it back on the bike.

I do advise that you wait until the missus is out shopping so that the unapproved use of the sink will go unnoticed!!

TQ

The paper work that came with the SE Stage I kit said the filter is washable and reusable and does notrequire oiling.

The paper work that came with the SE Stage I kit said the filter is washable and reusable and does not require oiling.

HD filter is washable and reuseable, just do not oil it...:s

What I do is vacuum the element with a shop vac pulling the air back in the opposite direction that the engine does. I then saturate the fiber mesh with Simply Green. Let that sit for about 10 minutes and then do it again. After that sits for 10-20 minutes, I then submerge the entire element in soapy water (dish soap) and "swish" it around to get the dirt out of the element. Then I rinse it with the sink sprayer washing in the opposite direction to the air flow. Let it dry in the sun and slap it back on the bike.

I do advise that you wait until the missus is out shopping so that the unapproved use of the sink will go unnoticed!!

TQ

TQ' advice is all correct except for the last line...you will be busted by the tell tale smell of simple green, dispersed with old oil and gas fragrances...dont't ask how I know.:bigsmiley30: Use an old wash bucket with warm water rinse outside, and pour grey water into toilet or your flower beds, saves her blood pressure and yours...! I keep thinking about that picture of Smitty' tour box in the shower...or Glider' explanation for that missing PLEDGE LOL!

Last edited:
1+ with Smitty901 as there are other posts where some complained about the air filter element deforming and actually some of the material fragments flow into the carburetor bore never to be seen again. The K&N is a very robust air cleaner and not subject to "self destruction" after long and steady wash and rinse cycles in the presence of high vacuum pressures. :D

Back